all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where to send patches to
@ 2010-12-21  9:26 Florian Kaufmann
From: Florian Kaufmann @ 2010-12-21  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The Emacs Info manual has a great chapter about how to send in patches
for GNU Emacs. However I am missing the information where I should
send a patch to. To a certain EMail Adress?

Flo

* Re: Where to send patches to
@ 2010-12-21 14:51 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1292946895.16907.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-21 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Kaufmann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.12.2010 um 10:26 schrieb Florian Kaufmann:

> To a certain EMail Adress?

To emacs-devel list I presume...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Ein Optimist ist in der Regel ein Zeitgenosse, der ungenügend
informiert ist.
				(John B. Priestley)

* RE: Where to send patches to
@ 2010-12-21 15:54 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1292946895.16907.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Florian Kaufmann', help-gnu-emacs

> The Emacs Info manual has a great chapter about how to send in patches
> for GNU Emacs. However I am missing the information where I should
> send a patch to. To a certain EMail Adress?

1. bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or emacs-devel@gnu.org.

2. Which chapter is that?

C-h r i  p a t c h  TAB  , s e n d i n g  RET

That takes you to node ("chapter") `Sending Patches'.  The first bullet there
says to send a patch for an existing bug to `bug-gnu-emacs'.  It should probably
say that you can send any patch for a bug fix or enhancement (new or existing)
to `bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org'.  You can also send a patch to `emacs-devel@gnu.org',
the Emacs development mailing list.

3. Consider sending a bug report, to get the information clarified:

M-x  r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g  RET

* Re: Where to send patches to
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1292946895.16907.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-21 18:45   ` Florian Kaufmann
From: Florian Kaufmann @ 2010-12-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> 1. bug-gnu-em...@gnu.org or emacs-de...@gnu.org.
1. Thank you

> 2. Which chapter is that?
2. I put an extract from my Emacs Info Manual at the end of this
message. (emacs-version)  delivers
"GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0)
 of 2009-09-27 on palmer, modified by Debian"

> M-x  r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g  RET
3. I have done that (bug#7687) - I read the chapter 'sending
patches' :-)

(emacs)Top:: > *Note Bugs:: > Sending Patches

60.4 Sending Patches for GNU Emacs ==================================

If you would like to write bug fixes or improvements for GNU Emacs,
that is very helpful.  When you send your changes, please follow these
guidelines to make it easy for the maintainers to use them.  If you
don't follow these guidelines, your information might still be useful,
but using it will take extra work.  Maintaining GNU Emacs is a lot of
work in the best of circumstances, and we can't keep up unless you do
your best to help.

   * Send an explanation with your changes of what problem they fix or
     what improvement they bring about.  For a bug fix, just include a
     copy of the bug report, and explain why the change fixes the bug.

     (Referring to a bug report is not as good as including it,
because
     then we will have to look it up, and we have probably already
     deleted it if we've already fixed the bug.)