all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gui emacs from terminal
@ 2010-07-14 10:47 Cynthia Lee Page
From: Cynthia Lee Page @ 2010-07-14 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear Users,

First off I am a newbie. I installed emacs (in the user folder of my
mac os10.5.8) and am able to run it from my terminal but I have no gui
interface. This is the command I used to build

$ ./configure --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no

I did this because I was told to by the error messages when I
initially attempted to install with just ./configure.

So I have two questions is this why I don't get a gui interface?

More importantly can I open with a gui interface with this installation?

I have downloaded and installed a second version of emacs, the carbon
version which does open with the gui, I have this file in my
applications folder. Is there any way I can invoke this version of
emacs while in the terminal and having ssh'd to a remote host?

Please ask for clarification if this is unclear and thanks in advance
for any help,

Cynthia

* Re: gui emacs from terminal
@ 2010-07-15  8:14 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-07-15  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cynthia Lee Page; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.07.2010 um 12:47 schrieb Cynthia Lee Page:

> More importantly can I open with a gui interface with this
> installation?

Yes, when either X11 was found on your Mac during configuration or you
had downloaded such a recent version of GNU Emacs that the configure
script automatically switched to configuring the NS variant.

You can check with ./configure --help. The many no options are not
necessary. When the old Carbon or a modern AppKit or NS variants are
built then automatically Mac OS X frameworks are used to display
graphics file formats inside this variants.

> I have downloaded and installed a second version of emacs, the
> carbon version which does open with the gui, I have this file in my
> applications folder. Is there any way I can invoke this version of
> emacs while in the terminal and having ssh'd to a remote host?

No. Carbon Emacs has no networking protocol support like X11 built in.
Have you tried to run it inside Remote Desktop?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Who the fsck is "General Failure," and why is he reading my disk?

* Re: gui emacs from terminal
@ 2010-07-15 11:51 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2010-07-15 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cynthia Lee Page; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Cynthia Lee Page
<Cynthia.Page@colorado.edu> wrote:
> First off I am a newbie.

In addition to Peter's comments which are, of course, all correct:
Being that you're a newbie have you considered just using
[MacPorts][1] to manage your Emacs install?  It makes the installation
and dependency management much easier and even has many of the
packages you might use as other ports that you can install.
Eventually, you'll almost certainly desire to go to a more manual
approach but while you're getting up to speed with Emacs having
something else that manages your installation would probably be a
boon.

Just a thought.

[1]: http://www.macports.org/

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: gui emacs from terminal
       [not found] <mailman.10.1279168075.3908.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-07-15 16:38 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-07-15 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cynthia Lee Page <Cynthia.Page@Colorado.EDU> writes:

> Dear Users,
>
> First off I am a newbie. I installed emacs (in the user folder of my
> mac os10.5.8) and am able to run it from my terminal but I have no gui
> interface. This is the command I used to build
>
> $ ./configure --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no
>
> I did this because I was told to by the error messages when I
> initially attempted to install with just ./configure.
>
> So I have two questions is this why I don't get a gui interface?
>
> More importantly can I open with a gui interface with this installation?
>
> I have downloaded and installed a second version of emacs, the carbon
> version which does open with the gui, I have this file in my
> applications folder. Is there any way I can invoke this version of
> emacs while in the terminal and having ssh'd to a remote host?
>
> Please ask for clarification if this is unclear and thanks in advance
> for any help,

I second Tim, use MacPort:

   sudo port install emacs +x11

You will have to install and launch X11.app, the X11 server, and then
you will be able to use emacs in X11 as on any other unix system.

Otherwise you have two other alternatives:

- Aquamacs : an emacs with a native Mac User Interface, highly
reconfigured for a multi (Mac-)windows mode of use. (I don't like it, I
prefer to have the same emacs configuration on all my systems).
http://aquamacs.org

- GNU emacs for Mac which is the normal emacs, as a MacOSX application.
(It is perfectly usable, like the similar on MS-Windows I must say. Yay
for GNU emacs!)
http://emacsformacosx.com

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com

* Re: gui emacs from terminal
@ 2010-07-16  1:02 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-07-16  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cynthia Lee Page wrote:
> Dear Users,
>
> First off I am a newbie. I installed emacs (in the user folder of my mac
> os10.5.8) and am able to run it from my terminal but I have no gui
> interface. This is the command I used to build
>
> $ ./configure --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no
>
> I did this because I was told to by the error messages when I initially
> attempted to install with just ./configure.

Why not `./configure --with-ns` as suggested in ./nextstep/INSTALL, which is
referenced by both ./INSTALL and ./nextstep/README?

> So I have two questions is this why I don't get a gui interface?
>
> More importantly can I open with a gui interface with this installation?

Are you running the ./nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs executable
from the terminal?

Or did you run `make install` after `make`, and are running the
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs executable from the terminal?

Does it help to run the executable with the -Q option?

Can you re-run ./configure and post the output?

> I have downloaded and installed a second version of emacs, the carbon
> version which does open with the gui, I have this file in my
> applications folder. Is there any way I can invoke this version of emacs
> while in the terminal and having ssh'd to a remote host?
>
> Please ask for clarification if this is unclear and thanks in advance
> for any help,

I suggest:

	make distclean
	./configure --with-ns
	make
	sudo make install

I always log the output for future reference e.g.

	./configure --with-ns 2>&1 | tee configure.log

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: gui emacs from terminal
@ 2010-07-16  4:27   ` Melton Low
From: Melton Low @ 2010-07-16  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kevin Rodgers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com>wrote:

> Cynthia Lee Page wrote:
>
>> Dear Users,
>>
>> First off I am a newbie. I installed emacs (in the user folder of my mac
>> os10.5.8) and am able to run it from my terminal but I have no gui
>> interface. This is the command I used to build
>>
>> $ ./configure --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no
>>
>> I did this because I was told to by the error messages when I initially
>> attempted to install with just ./configure.
>>

> Why not `./configure --with-ns` as suggested in ./nextstep/INSTALL, which
> is
> referenced by both ./INSTALL and ./nextstep/README?
>
>  So I have two questions is this why I don't get a gui interface?
>>
>> More importantly can I open with a gui interface with this installation?
>>

> Are you running the ./nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs executable
> from the terminal?
>
> Or did you run `make install` after `make`, and are running the
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs executable from the terminal?
>
> Does it help to run the executable with the -Q option?
>
> Can you re-run ./configure and post the output?
>
>  I have downloaded and installed a second version of emacs, the carbon
>> version which does open with the gui, I have this file in my applications
>> folder. Is there any way I can invoke this version of emacs while in the
>> terminal and having ssh'd to a remote host?
>>
>> Please ask for clarification if this is unclear and thanks in advance for
>> any help,
>>

> I suggest:
>
>        make distclean
>        ./configure --with-ns
>        make
>        sudo make install
>
> I always log the output for future reference e.g.
>
>        ./configure --with-ns 2>&1 | tee configure.log
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers
> Denver, Colorado, USA
>

> Kevin's instructions almost got it.  To run as a Mac app you have to do the
following:

make distclean
./configure --with-ns
make
cd nextstep
make install

After the last step simply move Emacs.app in the nextstep folder to your
/Applications folder.  There is no need to run 'sudo make install'.

Regards, Mel

* Re: gui emacs from terminal
@ 2010-07-16  7:30   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-07-16  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kevin Rodgers, Cynthia Lee Page; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.07.2010 um 03:02 schrieb Kevin Rodgers:

> I always log the output for future reference e.g.
>
> 	./configure --with-ns 2>&1 | tee configure.log

You could also use M-x compile RET <configure command> RET to create a
*compilation* buffer in which the use of faces emphasises some text
output to see more easily what is going on, potentially failing.
Finally the *compilation* buffer needs to be saved and closed, in
order to save it from being reused and overwritten by next compilation.

Anyway, the Carbon, NS, and AppKit variants of GNU Emacs have no
networking capability in a manner like an X client because Apple's
windowing system is like that from MS not network aware, only local
like the windowing systems from 30 years ago (on Xerox Star, Pet,
Lisa, Atari, Amiga, Sun with SunView, Apollo with Presentation
Manager). TRAMP in Emacs allows to edit files in remote file systems,
and Apple's Terminal application would allow to launch any Carbon, NS,
or AppKit variant of GNU Emacs without GUI inside it as

	/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue

@ 2010-07-16  8:48 ` Giacomo Boffi
From: Giacomo Boffi @ 2010-07-16  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cynthia Lee Page <Cynthia.Page@Colorado.EDU> writes:

> I have downloaded and installed a second version of emacs, the carbon
> version

imho carbon emacs is the most polished packaging of emacs for the mac,

> which does open with the gui, I have this file in my applications
> folder. Is there any way I can invoke this version of emacs while in
> the terminal

open -a Emacs
or even
open sarpazzo.txt -a Emacs

you could add "alias emacs=open -a Emacs'" to your ~/.bashrc

> and having ssh'd to a remote host?

??
--
anch'io la penso come me, ma                     -- SteO153, in IHC

* Re: gui emacs from terminal
@ 2010-07-16 14:04     ` Cynthia Page
From: Cynthia Page @ 2010-07-16 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks everyone for your time and helpful information on this post. I am sorry
to say that so many of your questions and comments are over my head, so please
forgive me if I don't attempt an answer

I found that I needed to invoke xterm when I ssh'd into the remote machine.

I had a basic misunderstanding of the processes I needed to accomplish remote
file editing. Originally I thought I was using the emacs that was installed on
my machine, when I edited files on a server that I was ssh' ing to. Now I
realize that when I ssh to a server, I am using a version of emacs that has been
installed on that server. Also that I need X11 on my machine so that I can use
xterm to run emacs application (from the server) in an xterm window and with
some menu driven support.

So the command is

ssh -Xf username@host xterm.

Thanks again!

Cynthia

________________________________
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>

@ 2010-07-16 16:22       ` Bastian Beischer
From: Bastian Beischer @ 2010-07-16 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cynthia Page; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hey,

You may find it interesting to know that you can use your own emacs to edit
remote files with the help of "tramp" which comes preinstalled with emacs.

To open a file on a remote server use

C-x C-f
"/user@server:PATH_TO_FILE"

You can even tab complete to find filenames.

Cheers
Bastian

------------------------------
*From:* Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>

@ 2010-07-16 19:44       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-07-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Cynthia Page; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.07.2010 um 16:04 schrieb Cynthia Page:

> I had a basic misunderstanding of the processes I needed to
> accomplish remote
> file editing. Originally I thought I was using the emacs that was
> installed on
> my machine, when I edited files on a server that I was ssh' ing to.
> Now I
> realize that when I ssh to a server, I am using a version of emacs
> that has been
> installed on that server. Also that I need X11 on my machine so that
> I can use
> xterm to run emacs application (from the server) in an xterm window
> and with
> some menu driven support.

There are still some... I, for example, assumed you were trying to ssh
to a Mac...

Can you locate the emacs binaries on the remote server? Is one of them
an X client, i.e., is it using X11 libraries? In that case you can
launch this emacs on the remote server and it will open an X11 window
(an Emacs frame) on your local Mac with its X11 server running (in
case firewalls allow this). When restrict Emacs inside a terminal
emulation you really do not need X11 and X11 forwarding enabled in SSH
protocol. You *can* connect via SSH from Apple's Terminal application
and the remote Emacs will run inside it the same (actually a better)
way as it does in Xterm. (It's better because of the well-integrated
copy&paste support, it might be worse when Terminal supports only 16
colours – some Xterm versions support 128 or 256 colours.)

To make this work you should not use the -X option but -Y or set
ForwardX11Trusted in your remote server's SSH config file. This will
set the environment variable DISPLAY in your remote login shell (as -X
also does) that X clients will know where the X server is and where
their windows will open.

To make GNU Emacs, the X client, open an X window (or Emacs frame) on
your local screen you could invoke:

	ssh -Yf username@host emacs

Emacsen also have the command manual-entry built in. Upon invocation
they ask for a topic and then they create buffers for each of the
topics (man pages) given. This way it's really easy to study the "UNIX
manual." You can also follow hyper-links in them...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!