all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-24  5:53 Warren Harris
From: Warren Harris @ 2011-01-24  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I run emacsclient -nw in my Apple Terminal, I get a dark grey background instead of white like I expect. Here's what list-colors-display shows:

black                  black                                                                #000000
red                    red                                                                  #cd0000
green                  green                                                                #00cd00
yellow                 yellow                                                               #cdcd00
blue                   blue                                                                 #0000ee
magenta                magenta                                                              #cd00cd
cyan                   cyan                                                                 #00cdcd
white                  white                                                                #e5e5e5

How can I fix this? Thanks,

Warren

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-24 17:36 ` Warren Harris
From: Warren Harris @ 2011-01-24 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Harris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I should add that my Apple Terminal is ssh'd to a Ubuntu 10.04.1 workstation when this happens... so the problem may be related to the linux configuration interacting with an 8-color terminal.

Warren

On Jan 23, 2011, at 9:53 PM, Warren Harris wrote:

> When I run emacsclient -nw in my Apple Terminal, I get a dark grey background instead of white like I expect. Here's what list-colors-display shows:
>
> black                  black                                                                #000000
> red                    red                                                                  #cd0000
> green                  green                                                                #00cd00
> yellow                 yellow                                                               #cdcd00
> blue                   blue                                                                 #0000ee
> magenta                magenta                                                              #cd00cd
> cyan                   cyan                                                                 #00cdcd
> white                  white                                                                #e5e5e5
>
> How can I fix this? Thanks,
>
> Warren

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-24 21:03   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-01-24 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Harris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 24, 2011, at 11:36 AM, Warren Harris wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2011, at 9:53 PM, Warren Harris wrote:
>
>> When I run emacsclient -nw in my Apple Terminal, I get a dark grey background instead of white like I expect. Here's what list-colors-display shows:
>>
>> black                  black                                                                #000000
>> red                    red                                                                  #cd0000
>> green                  green                                                                #00cd00
>> yellow                 yellow                                                               #cdcd00
>> blue                   blue                                                                 #0000ee
>> magenta                magenta                                                              #cd00cd
>> cyan                   cyan                                                                 #00cdcd
>> white                  white                                                                #e5e5e5
>>
>> How can I fix this? Thanks,

> I should add that my Apple Terminal is ssh'd to a Ubuntu 10.04.1 workstation when this happens... so the problem may be related to the linux configuration interacting with an 8-color terminal.

I wish I could play with it and see what you are talking about and experiment around some.

What is TERM set to?  You might be able to set it do something more fitting to get better colors.

Also, the Mac has X11.  You could ssh with -Y over to the Ubuntu box and start up emacs as an X11 client.

Perry

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-24 21:11     ` Warren Harris
From: Warren Harris @ 2011-01-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 24, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Perry Smith wrote:

> I wish I could play with it and see what you are talking about and experiment around some.
>
> What is TERM set to?  You might be able to set it do something more fitting to get better colors.

TERM is set to xterm-color.

Warren

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-24 22:32       ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-01-24 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Harris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:11 PM, Warren Harris wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
>>
>> I wish I could play with it and see what you are talking about and experiment around some.
>>
>> What is TERM set to?  You might be able to set it do something more fitting to get better colors.
>
> TERM is set to xterm-color.

I'm trying to recreate this as close as I can... your original post said you do

"emacsclient -nw"

but that would tie back to an existing emacs (I think).  Is that part correct?

Also, what version of emacs is on Ubuntu?  (And just for curiosity, what version
do you have on your Mac?

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-24 22:38         ` Warren Harris
From: Warren Harris @ 2011-01-24 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 24, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Perry Smith wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:11 PM, Warren Harris wrote:
>

>> On Jan 24, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I wish I could play with it and see what you are talking about and experiment around some.
>>>
>>> What is TERM set to?  You might be able to set it do something more fitting to get better colors.
>>
>> TERM is set to xterm-color.
>
> I'm trying to recreate this as close as I can... your original post said you do
>
> "emacsclient -nw"
>
> but that would tie back to an existing emacs (I think).  Is that part correct?

Yes. I previously ran emacs --daemon.

> Also, what version of emacs is on Ubuntu?  (And just for curiosity, what version
> do you have on your Mac?

GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2010-11-23 on yellow, modified by Debian

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-24 23:12           ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-01-24 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Harris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 24, 2011, at 4:38 PM, Warren Harris wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Perry Smith wrote:

>>> TERM is set to xterm-color.
>>
>> I'm trying to recreate this as close as I can... your original post said you do
>>
>> "emacsclient -nw"
>>
>> but that would tie back to an existing emacs (I think).  Is that part correct?
>
> Yes. I previously ran emacs --daemon.
>>
>> Also, what version of emacs is on Ubuntu?  (And just for curiosity, what version
>> do you have on your Mac?
>>

> GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of 2010-11-23 on yellow, modified by Debian

I telnet'ed to a Unix system and then back to my laptop (Mac).
Started Emacs -nw and it came up in the terminal.

I get the same list for list-color-display that you got.  I have a
black menu with white text at the top.  My mode lines are black with
white.  My normal text is black on white background.  The *scratch*
butter starts with a "red" messages on white background.

All of these are muted slightly... the red is not full on and the
write is very slightly grey.  But it sounds like your grey is darker.

My guess is the terminfo on Ubuntu is not exactly compatible with
Mac's Terminal.app... but that seems rather unlikely.

My second guess is Ubuntu has modified emacs in this area but that
also seems unlikely.

I don't know enough about how the colors and faces all interact or how
to customize them.  Hopefully someone else on this list will pipe up.

You might try not using the daemon approach and, in particular, try
starting without using your init file.  Perhaps there is something
in there that is confusing things.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Perry

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-24 23:25             ` Warren Harris
From: Warren Harris @ 2011-01-24 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Perry,

Thanks for your help. I'm glad you were at least able to reproduce the problem. I'll try experimenting with removing things from my .emacs file to see if that makes a difference.

BTW, sounds like our monitors display the grey a little differently. My second monitor is much lighter, but my macbook pro seems dark. The green or magenta text on a grey background is virtually unreadable.

Warren

On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Perry Smith wrote:

> I telnet'ed to a Unix system and then back to my laptop (Mac).
> Started Emacs -nw and it came up in the terminal.
>
> I get the same list for list-color-display that you got.  I have a
> black menu with white text at the top.  My mode lines are black with
> white.  My normal text is black on white background.  The *scratch*
> butter starts with a "red" messages on white background.
>
> All of these are muted slightly... the red is not full on and the
> write is very slightly grey.  But it sounds like your grey is darker.
>
> My guess is the terminfo on Ubuntu is not exactly compatible with
> Mac's Terminal.app... but that seems rather unlikely.
>
> My second guess is Ubuntu has modified emacs in this area but that
> also seems unlikely.
>
> I don't know enough about how the colors and faces all interact or how
> to customize them.  Hopefully someone else on this list will pipe up.
>
> You might try not using the daemon approach and, in particular, try
> starting without using your init file.  Perhaps there is something
> in there that is confusing things.
>
> Sorry I can't be more help.
>
> Perry

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-25 11:56       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-01-25 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Harris; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Warren Harris <warren@freelon.org> writes:

Hi Warren,

> TERM is set to xterm-color.

I'm not sure what that means in numbers of colors supported.  But with
usual, modern terminal emulators (xterm, konsole, gnome or xfce
terminal), a setting of xterm-256color should work fine and provide 256
colors in emacs[client] in a TTY frame.

I have this in my shell init file, so that this is the default value for
any xterm alike.

if [[ ${TERM} == "xterm" ]]; then
    export TERM=xterm-256color
fi

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-25 16:29         ` Warren Harris
From: Warren Harris @ 2011-01-25 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tassilo,

I tried using xterm-256color, but the entire window went into blink mode after starting emacs, the background was black instead of grey, and list-colors-display still shows white as e5e5e5. (There were 256 colors, fwiw.)

Warren

On Jan 25, 2011, at 3:56 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Warren Harris <warren@freelon.org> writes:
>
> Hi Warren,
>
>> TERM is set to xterm-color.
>
> I'm not sure what that means in numbers of colors supported.  But with
> usual, modern terminal emulators (xterm, konsole, gnome or xfce
> terminal), a setting of xterm-256color should work fine and provide 256
> colors in emacs[client] in a TTY frame.
>
> I have this in my shell init file, so that this is the default value for
> any xterm alike.

> if [[ ${TERM} == "xterm" ]]; then
>    export TERM=xterm-256color
> fi
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

* Re: white is #e5e5e5
@ 2011-01-25 18:49         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-01-25 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Warren Harris

Am 25.01.2011 um 12:56 schrieb Tassilo Horn:

>> TERM is set to xterm-color.
>
> I'm not sure what that means in numbers of colors supported.

It's 16 colours, eight "normal" plus eight bright ones.

Apple's Terminal application does not support more than these 16
colours – if xterm-color was chosen from the preferences.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Zukunft statt Zustand!