all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with AucTeX and Path
@ 2007-03-23 20:53 Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2007-03-23 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Hi

I am trying to use AucTeX and compile directly a latex file using PdfLaTeX.

After calling pdflatex, I get:
  Running `LaTeX' on `NATools' with ``pdflatex
"\nonstopmode\input{NATools.tex}"''
  /bin/sh: line 1: pdflatex: command not found

In my shell:
  [ambs@Diabelli ACL2007]$ which pdflatex
  /usr/texbin/pdflatex

And in my .emacs:

  (custom-set-variables
   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
  '(TeX-PDF-mode t)
  '(c-default-style "stroustrup")
  '(cperl-electric-parens-mark nil)
  '(exec-path (quote ("/sw/bin" "/usr/bin" "/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/sbin"
"/opt/libexec/emacs/22.0.50/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0" "/usr/texbin")))
   [...]

What am I doing wrong?

TIA
Alberto

--
Alberto Simões - Departamento de Informática - Universidade do Minho
                  Campus de Gualtar - 4710-057 Braga - Portugal

* Re: Problem with AucTeX and Path
       [not found] <mailman.1335.1174683356.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-23 21:56 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-03-23 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alberto Simões <albie@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt> writes:

> I am trying to use AucTeX and compile directly a latex file using PdfLaTeX.
>
> After calling pdflatex, I get:
>  Running `LaTeX' on `NATools' with ``pdflatex
> "\nonstopmode\input{NATools.tex}"''
>  /bin/sh: line 1: pdflatex: command not found
>
> In my shell:
>  [ambs@Diabelli ACL2007]$ which pdflatex
>  /usr/texbin/pdflatex
>
> And in my .emacs:
>
>  (custom-set-variables
>   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(TeX-PDF-mode t)
>  '(c-default-style "stroustrup")
>  '(cperl-electric-parens-mark nil)
>  '(exec-path (quote ("/sw/bin" "/usr/bin" "/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/sbin"
> "/opt/libexec/emacs/22.0.50/powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0"
> "/usr/texbin")))
>   [...]
>
> What am I doing wrong?

exec-path is useless here, since pdflatex is called through a shell.
Use PATH.

>From INSTALL.windows:

     If the configuration script failed to find all required programs,
     make sure that these programs are in your system path and add
     directories containing the programs to the `PATH' environment
     variable if necessary.  Here is how to do that in W2000/XP:

       1. On the desktop, right click "My Computer" and select
          properties.

       2. Click on "Advanced" in the "System Properties" window.

       3. Select "Environment Variables".

       4. Select "path" in "System Variables" and click "edit".  Move
          to the front in the line (this might require scrolling) and
          add the missing path including drive letter, ended with a
          semicolon.

* Re: Problem with AucTeX and Path
@ 2007-03-24  9:54 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-03-24  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: albie; +Cc: emacs

Am 23.03.2007 um 21:53 schrieb Alberto Simões:

> What am I doing wrong?

You're probably using Carbon Emacs on Mac OS X – it needs to know the
value of PATH.

The usual way would be to set PATH in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist –
all native Aqua clients (Carbon or Cocoa based, including X11 and the
X clients launched in it) learn environment variables from this file.

It /might/ work to create a file ~/.emacs_your login shell>, for
example ~/.emacs_tcsh in my case. There you can set environment
variables for Emacs' *shell* buffer in usual shell syntax. It /could/
also work for shell processes created from Emacs.

What will work is, to set PATH in ~/.emacs:

	(setenv "PATH" (concat "/some/directory" ":" (getenv "PATH")))

To find out what the PATH value is that Emacs knows:

	M-x shell-command RET echo $PATH RET

or

	M-x getenv RET PATH RET

Now you can determine which elements need to be included in "/some/
directory" ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!