all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* query-replace / occur on multiple buffers
@ 2004-03-23  2:45 exits funnel
From: exits funnel @ 2004-03-23  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is there any way to use occur and/or query-replace on
more than one buffer at a time or some other
command(s) which serves the same function.  I often
find myself wanting to be able to find/replace all
instances of a string in several buffers at once.  I
poked around the docs (and the FAQ) but couldn't find
anything.  Thanks in advance.

-exits

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

* Re: query-replace / occur on multiple buffers
@ 2004-03-23 18:56 ` Carsten Weinberg
From: Carsten Weinberg @ 2004-03-23 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:45:39 -0800 (PST)
exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to use occur and/or query-replace on
> more than one buffer at a time or some other
> command(s) which serves the same function.  I often
> find myself wanting to be able to find/replace all
> instances of a string in several buffers at once.  I
> poked around the docs (and the FAQ) but couldn't find
> anything.  Thanks in advance.
>
> -exits

'moccur' and 'moccur-edit' (see emacswicki). However I am not very happy with it.

Regards
-Carsten

* Re: query-replace / occur on multiple buffers
@ 2004-03-24  7:31   ` Antanas Masevicius
From: Antanas Masevicius @ 2004-03-24  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

and what could be solution for replacement in certain directory?
Is there any standard function?

Antanas

@ 2004-03-24 11:20     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-03-24 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:31:52 +0200 (EET)
> From: Antanas Masevicius <antanas.masevicius@z1sys.com>
>
> and what could be solution for replacement in certain directory?
> Is there any standard function?

See the node "Operating on Files" in the Emacs manual: it describes a
Dired command bound to the `Q' key that does this.

* Re: query-replace / occur on multiple buffers
@ 2004-03-24 11:25     ` Emory Smith
From: Emory Smith @ 2004-03-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

using dired mode (C-x d), mark the relavent files with "dired-mark" (m)
and then use "dired-do-query-replace-regexp" (Q).

@ 2004-03-25 13:55       ` Antanas Masevicius
From: Antanas Masevicius @ 2004-03-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Antanas Masevicius, help-gnu-emacs

is there a way to include all subdirectories in dired buffer without
"ls -lR" external command or (i) command? "ls" command is not available on
win by default. Some built-in solution would be nice. This would
help doing recursive replacements with (Q)

Antanas