On Sep 17, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > > I think you've missed the crucial point about special Isearch commands. > > With ordinary Emacs commands, if you don't know about them and you never > use them, they do not affect you. Thus, there is no drawback to having > thousands of them. > > However, when a control character is special in Isearch and you don't > know it, it will bite you. You will type it while in an Isearch, > expecting it to have its usual meaning, and it will do something else > instead. Do you think the usual meaning of C-u is ``exit the modal thing I'm doing now''? The only time I've ever wanted to use C-u in isearch, it either preceded a command that would have exited isearch on its own, or I wanted to isearch for 6 `-'s, and I did not want it to exit isearch (and was confused when it did). I don't see how a ``user expectation'' argument will ever support making C-u exit isearch. If it's just a matter of a learned interaction, that's different. I hope that helps, *Chad