all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* melpa website and eww
@ 2020-02-20 16:38 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-02-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

Does nobody else find it frustrating that the web site for melpa
packages cannot be read from within Emacs (i.e. using eww)?  It's one of
the few sites I visit with some frequency that requires me to leave
Emacs and start Firefox (or equivalent).  The only other site I need to
do this for is my bank...

Just ranting, I guess. ;-)

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.6 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: melpa website and eww
@ 2020-02-20 17:00 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-02-20 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello all,
>
> Does nobody else find it frustrating that the web site for melpa
> packages cannot be read from within Emacs (i.e. using eww)?  It's one of
> the few sites I visit with some frequency that requires me to leave
> Emacs and start Firefox (or equivalent).  The only other site I need to
> do this for is my bank...
>
> Just ranting, I guess. ;-)

Count me in.  Though, my criticism/frustration is not particularly
towards a small number of sites but rather the current state of the
entire web ecosystem and ever-increasing JS bloat.

As for melpa.org specifically, I've been using GNU Guix as my package
manager for Emacs and other system packages for a good while now, and
before that I used straight.el for Emacs packages, so I haven't had to
deal with individual package archives and their sites for a couple years
now. :-)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: melpa website and eww
@ 2020-02-20 17:14   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-02-20 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, 20 Feb 2020 at 12:00, Amin Bandali wrote:
> Count me in.  Though, my criticism/frustration is not particularly
> towards a small number of sites but rather the current state of the
> entire web ecosystem and ever-increasing JS bloat.

Yes, I agree completely, and partly why I like using eww to avoid all
the bloat as much as possible.

With respect to melpa, I just find it a little ironic...

--

@ 2020-02-20 23:26 ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-02-20 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Feb 21, 2020, at 1:38, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> Does nobody else find it frustrating that the web site for melpa
> packages cannot be read from within Emacs (i.e. using eww)?  It's one of
> the few sites I visit with some frequency that requires me to leave
> Emacs and start Firefox (or equivalent).  The only other site I need to
> do this for is my bank...

Even the MELPA site can use WCAG as guidelines for accessibility.

> Just ranting, I guess. ;-)

Why not push in that direction ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: melpa website and eww
@ 2020-02-21 17:24 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-02-21 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, help-gnu-emacs

Have you got:
(setq gnutls-algorithm-priority "NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3")
in your .emacs file?
If not, maybe try adding that and see if eww can read the site.

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:38:33
> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: melpa website and eww
>
> Hello all,
>
> Does nobody else find it frustrating that the web site for melpa
> packages cannot be read from within Emacs (i.e. using eww)?  It's one of
> the few sites I visit with some frequency that requires me to leave
> Emacs and start Firefox (or equivalent).  The only other site I need to
> do this for is my bank...
>
> Just ranting, I guess. ;-)

* Re: melpa website and eww
@ 2020-02-23 17:08   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-02-23 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, 21 Feb 2020 at 12:24, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Have you got:
> (setq gnutls-algorithm-priority "NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3")
> in your .emacs file?
> If not, maybe try adding that and see if eww can read the site.

Thank you for the suggestion.  However, the problem is not that I cannot
access/read the site but that the site uses Javascript to generate much
(all in some cases) of what it displays.  eww does not support
Javascript.

--

@ 2020-02-23 18:11     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2020-02-23 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga, help-gnu-emacs

The only appropriate use for javascript on websites is behind-the-scenes
housekeeping.  Any site that works like melpa.org limits itself to
edbrowse and other graphical browsers.  Nobody ought to ever know
javascript is used on a website unless they search the source code for
the web page.

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 12:08:43
> From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: melpa website and eww
>
> On Friday, 21 Feb 2020 at 12:24, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > Have you got:
> > (setq gnutls-algorithm-priority "NORMAL:-VERS-TLS1.3")
> > in your .emacs file?
> > If not, maybe try adding that and see if eww can read the site.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.  However, the problem is not that I cannot
> access/read the site but that the site uses Javascript to generate much
> (all in some cases) of what it displays.  eww does not support
> Javascript.

* Re: melpa website and eww
@ 2020-02-24  6:33       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-02-24  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, 23 Feb 2020 at 13:11, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The only appropriate use for javascript on websites is behind-the-scenes
> housekeeping.  Any site that works like melpa.org limits itself to
> edbrowse and other graphical browsers.

+1

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.6 on Debian bullseye/sid