all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* line spacing too big
@ 2007-09-05 13:44 Sebastian Kaps
       [not found] ` <mailman.384.1189027940.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I'm trying to switch from XEmacs to Emacs.
When I set the default font with
,----
| (set-default-font "-dejavu-dejavu sans mono-medium-r-normal-*-*-110-*-*-m-*-iso8859-15")
`----
the spacing between the lines is too large - it's like 1.5 lines instead
of a single line. Even (setq-default line-spacing 1) doesn't decrease
it.

Could anyone give me a hint what I'm doing wrong?

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: line spacing too big
@ 2007-09-05 21:32 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.384.1189027940.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-05 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Kaps; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.09.2007 um 15:44 schrieb Sebastian Kaps:

> When I set the default font with
> ,----
> | (set-default-font "-dejavu-dejavu sans mono-medium-r-normal-*-
> *-110-*-*-m-*-iso8859-15")
> `----
> the spacing between the lines is too large - it's like 1.5 lines
> instead
> of a single line. Even (setq-default line-spacing 1) doesn't decrease
> it.

It's a feature of this font.

Have you thought of getting Java and using its Lucida Sans Typewriter
font?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.
When you meet a man who is not a poet,
do not show him your poem.
                 -- Rinzai, ninth century Zen master

* Re: line spacing too big
       [not found] ` <mailman.384.1189027940.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-05 22:18   ` Sebastian Kaps
       [not found]     ` <mailman.389.1189033552.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-05 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Peter Dyballa writes:

> It's a feature of this font.

It happens with every font I tried. Besides, in XEmacs the line spacing
is correct with the same font.

> Have you thought of getting Java and using its Lucida Sans Typewriter
> font?

I have Java installed and I also tried this font. Same problem.
I made a screenshot: <http://sebastian-kaps.de/misc/fonts.jpg>
The left windows is XEmacs, the right one is Emacs. Both use the same font:
"-lucida-lucidasans typewriter-book-r-normal-*-*-110-*-*-m-*-iso8859-15"

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: line spacing too big
@ 2007-09-05 23:05     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.389.1189033552.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-05 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Kaps; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.09.2007 um 00:18 schrieb Sebastian Kaps:

> I made a screenshot: <http://sebastian-kaps.de/misc/fonts.jpg>

Could be it's a GTK issue. Can you configure and compile (make
bootstrap) GNU Emacs 22 or 23 without GTK, i.e. ``--with-x-
toolkit=athena´´ or such to see whether your GNU Emacs behaves like
mine? Mine presents itself more like your XEmacs – and I'm not using
GTK, not even for the Window Manager (blackbox).

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Nazionalismus ist die Religion der armen Schweine

* Re: line spacing too big
       [not found]     ` <mailman.389.1189033552.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-06  7:00       ` Sebastian Kaps
       [not found]         ` <mailman.410.1189071526.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-06  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Peter Dyballa writes:

> Could be it's a GTK issue.

The Emacs in the screenshot doesn't use GTK. I use the Debian package
from Ubuntu Gutsy which provides both, a GTK-version and a version with
Athena widgets. It makes no difference whether I use the GTK-version or
not.

> Can you configure and compile (make bootstrap) GNU Emacs 22 or 23
> without GTK, i.e. ``--with-x- toolkit=athena´´ or such to see whether
> your GNU Emacs behaves like mine? Mine presents itself more like your
> XEmacs and I'm not using GTK, not even for the Window Manager
> (blackbox).

Maybe you just turned off the toolbars? I haven't figured out how to do
this in Emacs yet. But I just downloaded the current 22.1 release and
compiled it with "--with-x-toolkit=athena" - it has the same problem.

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: line spacing too big
@ 2007-09-06  9:38         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.410.1189071526.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-06  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Kaps; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.09.2007 um 09:00 schrieb Sebastian Kaps:

> Maybe you just turned off the toolbars?

Yes, I have so, usually, but this does not change how text is
displayed. I can switch tool-bar on or off and the line spacing does
*not* change.

> I haven't figured out how to do this in Emacs yet.

(tool-bar-mode 0)

> But I just downloaded the current 22.1 release and compiled it with
> "--with-x-toolkit=athena" - it has the same problem.

I presume it's a typical Debian problem, I mean: improvement.

Try to find the system init file. Insert this statement

	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
	  (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Lade jetzt: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

and then you'll see in *Messages* which Elisp files get loaded. One
of these has the code that spreads the lines. A proof of my theory
can be to launch GNU Emacs with -Q – then it, hopefully, does not
load any improved or average init files, neither from the system nor
from the user.

If this behaviour continues to display then I am pretty sure that X11
has some ergonomic setting on. I've seen similiar things with X11
(OpenWindows and CDE) on Solaris.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Mac OS X is like a wigwam: no fences, no gates, but an apache inside.

* Re: line spacing too big
       [not found]         ` <mailman.410.1189071526.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-06 10:28           ` Sebastian Kaps
       [not found]             ` <mailman.415.1189077010.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-06 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Peter Dyballa writes:

>> Maybe you just turned off the toolbars?
> Yes, I have so, usually, but this does not change how text is
> displayed. I can switch tool-bar on or off and the line spacing does
> *not* change.

Sorry that was a misunderstanding. When you mentioned GTK and that your
Emacs looked like my XEmacs I thought you concluded from the toolbar of
my Emacs that it uses GTK.

> (tool-bar-mode 0)

Thanks!

> I presume it's a typical Debian problem, I mean: improvement.

I think I can rule that out. I took my self-compiled emacs binary and
ran it with the "-Q" option, so no init files should be read.
Then I changed the default font with "M-: (set-default-font ...)" and
again the line spacing was too big.

> If this behaviour continues to display then I am pretty sure that X11
> has some ergonomic setting on. I've seen similiar things with X11
> (OpenWindows and CDE) on Solaris.

Hm, I can't think of such a setting in X.org. Also, I disabled all
"assistive technologies" in GNOME. If it was related to X, then I would
have the problem in xterm too, since I use the same font there.

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: line spacing too big
@ 2007-09-06 11:10             ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]             ` <mailman.415.1189077010.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-06 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Kaps; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.09.2007 um 12:28 schrieb Sebastian Kaps:

> Hm, I can't think of such a setting in X.org. Also, I disabled all
> "assistive technologies" in GNOME. If it was related to X, then I
> would
> have the problem in xterm too, since I use the same font there.

One more try (I can't imagine more right now): run 'xrdb -remove'
which should delete all recently set X resources (you can reload them
afterwards via 'xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults' or such). When you now
launch GNU Emacs with -Q it should launch quite pure and undisturbed ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Musik hilft gegen Taliban, nicht Bomben.

* Re: line spacing too big
       [not found]             ` <mailman.415.1189077010.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-06 17:06               ` Sebastian Kaps
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.449.1189161567.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-06 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Peter Dyballa writes:

> One more try (I can't imagine more right now): run 'xrdb -remove'  which
> should delete all recently set X resources (you can reload them
> afterwards via 'xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults' or such). When you now  launch
> GNU Emacs with -Q it should launch quite pure and undisturbed ...

Sorry, that also had no effect. I even tried launched a minimal X
session (with just "xterm" in ~/.xinitrc) as another user and the
problem still persisted :-(

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: line spacing too big
@ 2007-09-07 10:37                 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.449.1189161567.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-07 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Kaps; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.09.2007 um 19:06 schrieb Sebastian Kaps:

> // Peter Dyballa writes:
>
>> One more try (I can't imagine more right now): run 'xrdb -remove'
>> which
>> should delete all recently set X resources (you can reload them
>> afterwards via 'xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults' or such). When you now
>> launch
>> GNU Emacs with -Q it should launch quite pure and undisturbed ...
>
> Sorry, that also had no effect. I even tried launched a minimal X
> session (with just "xterm" in ~/.xinitrc) as another user and the
> problem still persisted :-(

This minimal session does not mean that no X resources are existing
or are set for this session. Besides making the output of 'xrdb -q'
empty there are still files with default X resources an X client can
find and read and apply ...

An option would be to activate Kubuntu (KDE instead of GNOME) or
Xubuntu (Xfce as Window Manager in a still GTK based environment but
less resources hungry). The ldd utility should list which dynamic
libraries GNU Emacs actually uses to check whether it's really not
depending on/using GTK.

Finally you can launch GNU Emacs on a different host and make it
display on your local machine. And vice versa. The first test will
make *some* GNU Emacs become the client of your local X server, so it
should behave (look) like your own GNU Emacs. (If not, then it's due
to binding to libraries and different X resources in files.) In the
second case, displaying your Ubuntu Emacsen remotely, they should
show up like *some* GNU Emacs of that remote machine on that remote
machine. If not, then again it's based on libraries and X resources
used.

You should provide the same fonts on both computers or some X font
server. This one might be another cause ...

The family of *trace programmes offers the ability to record all
files a binary programme opens.

--
Mit evolutionären Grüßen

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Emacs stuck when error occurs in ange ftp
@ 2007-09-07 15:37                   ` brianjiang
From: brianjiang @ 2007-09-07 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I often met the problem that when I use ange-ftp to edit the remote
file,  if something wrong happen in the ftp connection (e.g., enter a
wrong password, or other unknow ftp error),  the emacs then stuck. C-g
can not break it and I have to use Task Manager (WIN XP) to kill the
emacs process!

Have you also ever met the same problem? How to solve it? Thanks!

Regards,
Brian

* Re: line spacing too big
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.449.1189161567.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-10 20:43                   ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2007-09-10 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

// Peter Dyballa writes:

> This minimal session does not mean that no X resources are existing  or
> are set for this session. Besides making the output of 'xrdb -q'  empty
> there are still files with default X resources an X client can  find and
> read and apply ...

Sorry for answering so late. After doing a few tests and even running
emacs on a different machine, I think the problem might be caused by
X.org. It only seems to affect scalable fonts.

--
Ciao, Sebastian