all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Subprocess TAB completion in standard shell (comint) mode ... any chance?
@ 2014-01-29 18:48 Robert Lerche (rlerche)
From: Robert Lerche (rlerche) @ 2014-01-29 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Emacs shell mode is where I spend much of my time; for ordinary tasks, to capture problem logs, and to demonstrate system administration.

Many subprocess commands these days have useful TAB completion (e.g., PostgreSQL psql, or the Python interpreter).  Alas, shell mode (that is, comint) disables this mechanism for subcommands.

A search leads to this discussion from 2011 (specific to Python, but touching on the broader issue): http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-09/msg00612.html

Has any thought been given to providing a means for shell mode to pass input with TAB appropriately and capture the subcommand's response?  It would be very helpful.

Thanks.

* Re: Subprocess TAB completion in standard shell (comint) mode ... any chance?
@ 2014-01-30  0:36 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-01-30  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Lerche (rlerche); +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> Has any thought been given to providing a means for shell mode to pass input
> with TAB appropriately and capture the subcommand's response?  It would be
> very helpful.

Yes, it would be very helpful, but IIUC it requires more than thought:
it requires someone to try and code it up, see how it works (or fails
to), etc...