all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs font-lock-mode issues in solaris 10
@ 2009-06-18 13:05 jk
From: jk @ 2009-06-18 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm having two issues with solaris 10 and emacs.

1) font-lock-mode fails with "X windows are not in use or not
initialized"
2) backspace works in the shell, but fails inside emacs.  Instead, it
pulls up the "*help*"

TERM is set to xterm
stty:
speed 9600 baud; evenp hupcl
rows = 46; columns = 71; ypixels = 694; xpixels = 658;
erase = ^h; swtch = <undef>;
-inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany ixoff onlcr
echo echoe echok echoctl echoke iexten

Thanks in advance,

jk

* Re: emacs font-lock-mode issues in solaris 10
@ 2009-06-18 13:10 ` jk
From: jk @ 2009-06-18 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 18, 9:05 am, jk <jk.lists.questi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having two issues with solaris 10 and emacs.
>
> 1) font-lock-mode fails with "X windows are not in use or not
> initialized"
> 2) backspace works in the shell, but fails inside emacs.  Instead, it
> pulls up the "*help*"
>
> TERM is set to xterm
> stty:
> speed 9600 baud; evenp hupcl
> rows = 46; columns = 71; ypixels = 694; xpixels = 658;
> erase = ^h; swtch = <undef>;
> -inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany ixoff onlcr
> echo echoe echok echoctl echoke iexten
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> jk

Also, I should have mentioned, I'm running emacs as "emacs -nw".

* Re: emacs font-lock-mode issues in solaris 10
@ 2009-06-18 14:01 ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-06-18 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

> 1) font-lock-mode fails with "X windows are not in use or not
> initialized"
> 2) backspace works in the shell, but fails inside emacs.  Instead, it
> pulls up the "*help*"
>
> TERM is set to xterm
> stty:
> speed 9600 baud; evenp hupcl
> rows = 46; columns = 71; ypixels = 694; xpixels = 658;
> erase = ^h; swtch = <undef>;
> -inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany ixoff onlcr
> echo echoe echok echoctl echoke iexten

I can't help with 1), but 2) is actually a FAQ. This command fixed it
for me:

  stty erase '^?'

See
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html#Backspace-invokes-help

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: emacs font-lock-mode issues in solaris 10
@ 2009-06-18 14:20   ` jk
From: jk @ 2009-06-18 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 18, 10:01 am, Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig
+news2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > 1) font-lock-mode fails with "X windows are not in use or not
> > initialized"
> > 2) backspace works in the shell, but fails inside emacs.  Instead, it
> > pulls up the "*help*"
>
> > TERM is set to xterm
> > stty:
> > speed 9600 baud; evenp hupcl
> > rows = 46; columns = 71; ypixels = 694; xpixels = 658;
> > erase = ^h; swtch = <undef>;
> > -inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany ixoff onlcr
> > echo echoe echok echoctl echoke iexten
>
> I can't help with 1), but 2) is actually a FAQ. This command fixed it
> for me:
>
>   stty erase '^?'
>
> Seehttp://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html#Backspace-invokes-help
>
> HTH,
>
> Anselm
>
> --
> Anselm Helbig
> mailto:anselm.helbig+news2...@googlemail.com
Adding (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?) to my .emacs resolved issue
#2.

Anyone have any ideas on issue #1?

Thanks.

* Re: emacs font-lock-mode issues in solaris 10
@ 2009-06-18 15:29     ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-06-18 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

> > > 1) font-lock-mode fails with "X windows are not in use or not
> > > initialized"
> > > 2) backspace works in the shell, but fails inside emacs.  Instead, it
> > > pulls up the "*help*"
> >
> > > TERM is set to xterm
> > > stty:
> > > speed 9600 baud; evenp hupcl
> > > rows = 46; columns = 71; ypixels = 694; xpixels = 658;
> > > erase = ^h; swtch = <undef>;
> > > -inpck -istrip icrnl -ixany ixoff onlcr
> > > echo echoe echok echoctl echoke iexten
> >
> > I can't help with 1), but 2) is actually a FAQ. This command fixed it
> > for me:
> >
> >   stty erase '^?'
> >
> > Seehttp://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html#Backspace-invokes-help
>
> Adding (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?) to my .emacs resolved issue
> #2.

Yes, this works, too, but you can not use C-h anymore to get help. For
this reason I'd rather use stty to have the correct terminal
settings.

Regards,

Anselm

--

@ 2009-06-18 17:47       ` jk
From: jk @ 2009-06-18 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 18, 11:29 am, Anselm Helbig <anselm.helbig
+news2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi!

> > > I can't help with 1), but 2) is actually a FAQ. This command fixed it
> > > for me:
>
> > >   stty erase '^?'
>
> > > Seehttp://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html#Backspace-invokes-help
>
> > Adding (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?) to my .emacs resolved issue
> > #2.
>
> Yes, this works, too, but you can not use C-h anymore to get help. For
> this reason I'd rather use stty to have the correct terminal
> settings.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anselm
>
> --
> Anselm Helbig
> mailto:anselm.helbig+news2...@googlemail.com- Hide quoted text -

In Solaris, ^H is the default for backspace.  Changing it with stty
erase to ^? may resolve the emacs issues, but it will break the xterm.

@ 2009-06-18 19:01     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-06-18 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jk; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.06.2009 um 16:20 schrieb jk:

> Anyone have any ideas on issue #1?

See which result you get when you add -q or -Q to -nw when launching
GNU Emacs. They avoid loading your own or your and the system's init
files.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence.
				- Jeremy S. Anderson