all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how can i kill all the buffers
@ 2007-01-30 15:19 step
From: step @ 2007-01-30 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 1. this is any command to kill all buffers ,not close the emacs

 2. if only i  want to close the buffers of some mode (ep: c
files),can i do it?

 3x

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
@ 2007-01-30 16:51 ` HS
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: HS @ 2007-01-30 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have this function here, i'm not the author...

(defun kill-all-buffers ()
  "Kill literally all buffers. This keeps Emacs from bloating."
  (interactive)
  (if (fboundp 'gnus-group-exit) (gnus-group-exit))
  (loop for x being buffers
    do (kill-buffer x)))

On 30 jan, 12:19, "step" <fxl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  1. this is any command to kill all buffers ,not close the emacs
>
>  2. if only i  want to close the buffers of some mode (ep: c
> files),can i do it?
>
>  3x

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
@ 2007-01-30 17:06 ` Marc Tfardy
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2007-01-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

step schrieb:
>  1. this is any command to kill all buffers ,not close the emacs
>
>  2. if only i  want to close the buffers of some mode (ep: c
> files),can i do it?

Maybe something like this:?

(defun kill-major-mode-buffer (mode)
  "Kills current buffer when major mode is MODE."
  (if (eq (cdr (assoc 'major-mode (buffer-local-variables))) mode)
      (kill-buffer (current-buffer))))

(defun kill-all-major-mode-buffer (mode)
  "Kills all buffer when major mode is MODE."
  (interactive "SMode: ")
  (mapc (lambda (buffer)
            (progn
              (set-buffer buffer)
              (kill-major-mode-buffer mode))) (buffer-list)))

HTH

regards

Marc

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
@ 2007-01-30 17:15 ` Marc Tfardy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2007-01-30 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

step schrieb:
>  1. this is any command to kill all buffers ,not close the emacs

(defun kill-all-buffers ()
  "Kills all buffers."
  (interactive)
  (mapc (lambda (buffer)
            (progn
              (set-buffer buffer)
              (kill-buffer buffer))) (buffer-list)))

regards

Marc

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-01-30 22:34 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-01-30 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Another option:

C-x C-b                 ; to run "list-buffers"
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk       ; to mark the buffers to be killed
x                       ; to actually kill them
--
98% of ... computers is just hacking your way through the jungle
with a blunt machete.  Lisp ... can save you 90% of the

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
@ 2007-01-30 22:46   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-01-30 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Hanchrow; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.01.2007 um 23:34 schrieb Eric Hanchrow:

> C-x C-b                 ; to run "list-buffers"

Isn't here a C-x o needed?

And wouldn't C-u 99 d make more sense and by faster than the following?

> kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk       ; to mark the buffers to be killed
> x                       ; to actually kill them

This all would also kill the *scratch* buffer ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
@ 2007-01-30 23:00     ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-01-30 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    Peter> Am 30.01.2007 um 23:34 schrieb Eric Hanchrow:

    >> C-x C-b ; to run "list-buffers"

    Peter> Isn't here a C-x o needed?

Yes, it might be.

    Peter> And wouldn't C-u 99 d make more sense and by faster than
    Peter> the following?

Probably :-)

    Peter> This all would also kill the *scratch* buffer ...

Yup, but the OP indeed asked how to kill _all_ the buffers.

--
I think the future of the Republic may depend on young
audiences seeing more movies like "Whale Rider" and fewer

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
@ 2007-01-30 23:11       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-01-30 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Hanchrow; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.01.2007 um 00:00 schrieb Eric Hanchrow:

> Yup, but the OP indeed asked how to kill _all_ the buffers.

Sometimes folks don't make these fine distinctions between really all
buffers and only all those with a major-mode ... although: doesn't it
have Lisp Interaction-mode?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one
that corrupts your file?" -- Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy

* RE: how can i kill all the buffers
@ 2007-01-31  1:25   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-01-31  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In Icicles:   C-x k TAB C-!

Of course, I agree with others who've said that you probably do not really
want to kill all buffers. If you don't, then use this, where <pattern> is a
regexp or a substring that matches all of the buffers you do want to kill:

C-x k <pattern> S-TAB C-!

You can see all of the matching buffer names in buffer *Completions*, and
you can modify the <pattern> if it didn't match exactly exactly what you
thought it would ;-) - the set of matches is updated on the fly. Hit `C-!'
when the matching names are those you really want.

Or use a <pattern> to match all of the buffers that you do _not_ want to
kill, and kill all the rest.  `C-~' complements the candidate set.

C-x k <pattern> S-TAB C-~ C-!

Or cycle among matching buffer candidates, killing only those you want when
you reach them. Or click `C-mouse-2' in *Completions* to selectively kill
buffers. These are all ways to manipulate the set of names that match your
input.

The same behavior applies to deleting files, using command
`icicle-delete-file'.

Your question is a generalization of "How do I kill one buffer", which is
what standard `C-x k' (`kill-buffer') does. In Icicles, commands that affect
one object can also affect many, and `C-x k' (`icicle-kill-buffer') is an
example of this.

And it is as easy to define such a multi-command as it is to define the
single-target version - the definitions are in fact the same.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/Icicles - all the Icicles doc

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/Icicles_-_Multi-Commands - about
multi-commands

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-02-01  1:02 ` RealityMonster
From: RealityMonster @ 2007-02-01  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 30, 8:19 am, "step" <fxl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  1. this is any command to kill all buffers ,not close the emacs
>
>  2. if only i  want to close the buffers of some mode (ep: c
> files),can i do it?
>
>  3x

I took kill-some-buffers and modified it a bit.

(defun kill-all-buffers (&optional list)
  "For each buffer in LIST, kill it. If it's been modified don't do
anything.
LIST defaults to all existing live buffers."
  (interactive)
  (if (null list)
      (setq list (buffer-list)))
  (while list
    (let* ((buffer (car list))
	   (name (buffer-name buffer)))
      (and (not (string-equal name ""))
	   (/= (aref name 0) ? )
	   (if (not (buffer-modified-p buffer)) t )
	   (kill-buffer buffer)))
    (setq list (cdr list))))

* Re: how can i kill all the buffers
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-02-01  4:23 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-02-01  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    step>  2.  if only i want to close the buffers of some mode (ep: c
    step>  files),can i do it?

If you use ibuffer, then

bring up Ibuffer menu with      C-x C-b
mark your perl buffers with     % m perl RET
delete with                     D
confirm with                    y

--
"Serenity" is an old-fashioned space opera, and differs from
a horse opera mostly in that it involves space, not horses.