all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with umlaut printing
@ 2009-05-03 17:39 Timo Myyrä
From: Timo Myyrä @ 2009-05-03 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I have small issue with emacs and umlauted chars.
I use utf-8 encoding and it appears to work just fine but when I press
umlauted char such as ä it won't print it to screen straight away.
It will print the umlauted char once I press another non-umlauted key.
Then both chars are displayed on screen.
This makes typing in finnish kinda irritating as characters won't
appear to screen as I type them.

Could somebody give some hint how to solve this? I read there was some
changes the way emacs handles unicode but I couldn't figure how that
would cause this.
Umlauts worked just fine on Emacs 22. Currently I'm using the latest
pretest version.

Snippet of my ~/.emacs:
(set-language-environment "utf-8")
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)

Timo

* Re: Problem with umlaut printing
@ 2009-05-04  9:01 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-05-04  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timo Myyrä; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.05.2009 um 19:39 schrieb Timo Myyrä:

> Snippet of my ~/.emacs:
> (set-language-environment "utf-8")
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)

I'd only use the second setting and provide the environment from
which GNU Emacs launches with the environment variable LC_CTYPE
pointing to some UTF-8 locale.

Another option is to press in *scratch* buffer C-q ä to see what GNU
Emacs sees as input. Double-check this with the output provided by xev.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence.
				– Ernst Mach

* Re: Problem with umlaut printing
@ 2009-05-04 11:34   ` Timo Myyrä
From: Timo Myyrä @ 2009-05-04 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 03.05.2009 um 19:39 schrieb Timo Myyrä:
>
>> Snippet of my ~/.emacs:
>> (set-language-environment "utf-8")
>> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
>> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> I'd only use the second setting and provide the environment from which
> GNU Emacs launches with the environment variable LC_CTYPE  pointing to
> some UTF-8 locale.
>
> Another option is to press in *scratch* buffer C-q ä to see what GNU
> Emacs sees as input. Double-check this with the output provided by
> xev.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
> matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
> pencil surpass him in intelligence.
> 				– Ernst Mach

I use same config on Linux and OpenBSD. OpenBSD doesn't use locales so I
specify the options in the config file.

Pressing the C-q ä in *scratch* printed ä on buffer immidiately after
pressing the ä so it seems to work correctly.

xev gives following output:
KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x125, subw 0xe00002, time 4227595, (61,56), root:(62,57),
    state 0x10, keycode 94 (keysym 0xe4, adiaeresis), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a4) "ä"
    XmbLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a4) "ä"
    XFilterEvent returns: False

@ 2009-05-04 12:10     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <d55a4d160905040648n2e5d33e1wf9c54413f4e03dd8@mail.gmail.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-05-04 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timo Myyrä; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.05.2009 um 13:34 schrieb Timo Myyrä:

> I use same config on Linux and OpenBSD. OpenBSD doesn't use locales
> so I
> specify the options in the config file.

It's a pity that I am using hardware on which only Mac OS X, a BSD
variant, runs, so that I can't test whether this could ease your
situation: you can add environment variables from your init file, for
example:

	(setenv "INFOPATH" (concat "/Applications/Aquamacs Emacs.app/
Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/info" ":" (getenv "INFOPATH")))

You can also restrict parts of your init file to be valid only for
this or that system type (or better system-configuration or system-
name?). IMO set-language-environment should not be used in a non-7 or
non-8 bit environment.

> Pressing the C-q ä in *scratch* printed ä on buffer immidiately after
> pressing the ä so it seems to work correctly.
>
> xev gives following output:
> KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0xe00001,
>     root 0x125, subw 0xe00002, time 4227595, (61,56), root:(62,57),
>     state 0x10, keycode 94 (keysym 0xe4, adiaeresis), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a4) "ä"
>     XmbLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a4) "ä"
>     XFilterEvent returns: False

Both are OK. C3 A4 is the UTF-8 representation of ä.

Which of your two systems shows this behaviour? Are you able to
compile GNU Emacs 23.0.93 from CVS? It's more of an Unicode Emacs
than all Emacsen before.

--
Greetings

   Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have
others.
				- Groucho Marx

* Re: Problem with umlaut printing
       [not found]         ` <BAE5BA5B-8F76-4B8E-BBFC-B0FADAB513F5@web.de>
@ 2009-05-04 19:23           ` Timo Myyrä
From: Timo Myyrä @ 2009-05-04 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hah, I guess I got it working.

I removed all the previous utf-8 lines from my .emacs file and added following:
(setq current-language-environment 'UTF-8)

Emacs could guess the environment from the locales but as I stated, my
OBSD machine doesn't use thos so this is better option.

Now to work on other emacs issues and perhaps one day I can use emacs
for something :)

Timo