all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#2666: 23.0.91; TeX calendar and UTF-8 encoding
@ 2009-03-13 21:16 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-13 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Hello!

I have localised calendar to show month and day names in German. This
month is März. When I create a (La)TeX calendar, it's in UTF-8
(because of my shell environment), the ä is 0xC3 0xA4 or ä in ISO
8859-1 or À in ISO 8859-15. The latter is my preferred LaTeX input
encoding since it allows to use our currency sign, the €. This now
makes it necessary to use the textcomp package in LaTeX.

Is it possible to make the output produced or its encoding more
flexible, adapt itself to the default encoding of GNU Emacs? If not,
could the documentation be updated to state which encoding is used
and that the user should use cal-tex-preamble-extra to adapt for that?

I have some difficulties with the documentation of cal-tex-preamble-
extra. Its doc-string contains

    For example, to include extra packages:
    "\\usepackage{foo}\n\\usepackage{bar}\n".

but when I use \\ and \n in the customisation interface these appear
unchanged in the calendar.tex buffer. (Actually LaTeX does not
complain when a few commands are concatenated to build a long line.)
I haven't yet saved my customisation – if this explains the
difference between theory and practise.

I'd also recommend to use the report class instead of article in the
LaTeX output generated: no useless AUX file is created then. Other
differences won't show up.

Another improvement would be to update some old LaTeX code, for
example the

	\special{landscape}{}%

This would only work for ancient DVI output. Modern XeTeX and pdfTeX
do not understand this. A completely orthogonal solution is:

	\usepackage[landscape]{geometry}

Between ``[´´ and ``]´´ is also the correct place to define the margin:

	\usepackage[landscape,nomarginpar,top=0pt,margin={-2cm,-2cm}]{geometry}

It should be OK to just use:

	\usepackage[landscape,nomarginpar,top=0pt]{geometry}

It's not necessary to set \textwidth and \textheight. There is
probably no-one using a TeX distribution elder then 15 years, i.e.,
it will be teTeX or TeX Live based. In these distributions a TeX
configuration file sets the default paper size. To switch from
landscape to portrait just remove the ``landscape,´´ option from the
line loading the geometry package or set clearly:

	\usepackage[portrait,nomarginpar,top=0pt]{geometry}

This package is in all TeX distributions. Since some years (<10) this
is also true for the Latin Modern fonts (texdoc lm-info), which are
planned as a modernised update and substitute of all CM fonts in a
modern font format (OTF), which can be loaded via

	\usepackage{lmodern}

(actually PostScript fonts are used here). It could also be thought
of making the LaTeX output XeTeX compatible (loading ifpdf and
ifxetex packages, loading the fontspec package for XeTeX and setting
a system font, for example Times, or leaving the default Latin Modern).

In GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
  of 2009-03-13 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '--
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--x-includes=/opt/local/include' '--x-
libraries=/opt/local/lib' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/
Emacs' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe -
fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -
foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-
partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'LDFLAGS=-
dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/local/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Imbecility, n.:
	A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire affecting
	censorious critics of this dictionary.
			– Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_

* bug#2666: 23.0.91; TeX calendar and UTF-8 encoding
@ 2009-03-13 23:10 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-03-13 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: 2666

reassign 2666 emacs,calendar
severity 2666 wishlist
stop

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> I have some difficulties with the documentation of cal-tex-preamble-
> extra. Its doc-string contains
>
>    For example, to include extra packages:
>    "\\usepackage{foo}\n\\usepackage{bar}\n".
>
> but when I use \\ and \n in the customisation interface these appear
> unchanged in the calendar.tex buffer.

The above is what you need to use if you _don't_ use customize.
It seems that customize tries to be helpful and does extra quoting of
values you insert. So in the customize input field, you just type:

\usepackage{foo}C-q C-j
\usepackage{bar}

That results in the value being set to what it says in the doc-string.

I can add a comment along these lines, but it's a general customize
feature.

The other items are wishlists.

* Processed: Re: bug#2666: 23.0.91; TeX calendar and UTF-8 encoding
@ 2009-03-13 23:20   ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2009-03-13 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs Bugs, calendar for {2666}

Processing commands for control@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com:

> reassign 2666 emacs,calendar
bug#2666: 23.0.91; TeX calendar and UTF-8 encoding
Warning: Unknown package 'calendar'
bug reassigned from package `emacs' to `emacs,calendar'.

> severity 2666 wishlist
bug#2666: 23.0.91; TeX calendar and UTF-8 encoding
Warning: Unknown package 'calendar'
Severity set to `wishlist' from `normal'

> stop
Stopping processing here.

Don Armstrong
(administrator, Emacs bugs database)

* bug#2666: 23.0.91; TeX calendar and UTF-8 encoding
@ 2009-03-13 23:29   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-13 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 2666

Am 14.03.2009 um 00:10 schrieb Glenn Morris:

> That results in the value being set to what it says in the doc-string.

Can't customise be customised to correct some doc-strings? Or should
I send a new bug report?

--
Greetings

   Pete