all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Freenet.DE>
To: David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net>
Cc: 6677@debbugs.gnu.org, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
Subject: bug#6677: 24.0.50; NS variant cannot copy to pasteboard correctly
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:26:37 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 21.07.2010 um 00:18 schrieb David De La Harpe Golden:

> Can you try building an emacs with the patch on macosx?

Yesterday, at UTC evening, I updated with bzr. The build did not copy.
Today, after a 'make clean', I applied your patch and re-compiled. No
change, still copying from the NS variant to other Mac OS X
applications or X clients does not work. One change happened, when
pasting what I marked and copied in X11 or a Mac OS X application:

	Quit: "pasteboard doesn't contain valid data"

Maybe the copy&paste code could be made smaller since the X servers in
Snow Leopard have built-in a synching mechanism with the Mac OS X
pasteboard and up-to-date X servers in Leopard have it too. Only the
original Apple X server lacks this, but can be configured to work
similarly.

>> Additionally double-click to mark a word is interpreted as
>> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>, bound to mouse-drag-region. I don't think
>> that
>> this is desirable...
>
> N.B. Mouse-drag-region calls mouse-drag-track which calls mouse-
> start-end to _implement_ double-click to mark a word, perhaps not
> intuitively given the name. So does double-clicking nonetheless
> actually mark the word on NS?

Yes, it does. In the beginning I found that this did not copy the word
to the pasteboard, so I assumed some key binding might have changed,
but they haven't. A working (and installed in /Applications) copy from
middle of June describes double-click as the same – and copies the
word to Mac OS X pasteboard and X11 PRIMARY selection (or XQuartz
2.5.1 (xorg-server 1.8.99.904) from MacPorts is synching OS X and X11).

--
Greetings

   Pete

The next generation of interesting software will be done on the
Macintosh, not the IBM PC.
				– Bill Gates, Nov 1984)