all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 23.0.50; HELLO
@ 2007-12-17 14:16 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-17 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Hello!

It looks as if the code for Tibetan greetings is incorrect. A few
Emacsen of different versions can display the text, either in a
windowing system or in a terminal emulation. And *all* cannot display
it correctly. I am trying to copy first what is displayed in a
terminal (example + second time):

	བཀྲ?་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས༎
	Tibetan (བོད་སྐ?ད་)               བཀྲ?་
ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས༎

The forth character from the left obviously is not right (and also in
the comment the last but one). Something similiar I can see in
windowing Emacsen, although they display instead of a question mark a
generic symbol 'last resort'.

There seems to be also a problem with Arabic:

	Arabic (ةّيبرعلا)                مكيلع مالّسلا

Interestingly the parentheses in the right column is here in the copy
an opening one in a Latin script. In terminal in GNU Emacs it's a
closing one in a Latin script, and it obviously belongs to the left
column. A similiar effect happens with Hebrew with the ``)´´
parentheses.

In the "foreword" of non-ASCII examples the right-most text in the
Middle/Near East line consists only of question marks ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've
always worked for me.
				– Hunter S. Thompson

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-12-17 14:16 UTC | newest]