all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* for loading own lisp functions, if some in separated files, automatically
@ 2009-07-13 15:34 Erhy
From: Erhy @ 2009-07-13 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
 for training myself, I'm writing some lisp functions.

What is the usual way for automatic maintenance,
that my .el files are loaded automatically, when
starting Emacs?

I would prefer that the lisp files are located in the site-lisp directory.

Thank you for advice
Erhy

I use  GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001)
 of 2008-09-06 on SOFT-MJASON
on Windows Vista

* Re: for loading own lisp functions, if some in separated files, automatically
@ 2009-07-14  7:39 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2466.1247557209.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-14  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs list

Am 13.07.2009 um 17:34 schrieb Erhy:

> What is the usual way for automatic maintenance, that my .el files
> are loaded automatically, when
> starting Emacs?

For example: load-file, load-library, require…

--
Greetings

   Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists
solutions
are things that are still all mixed up.

* Re: for loading own lisp functions, if some in separated files,  automatically
@ 2009-07-14 11:29 ` Abdullah Abdul Khadir
       [not found] ` <mailman.2466.1247557209.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Abdullah Abdul Khadir @ 2009-07-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: _glueck_austria; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM, _ glueck _ austria@no.spam.hotmail.com Erhy
<erhard> wrote:

> Hello,
> for training myself, I'm writing some lisp functions.
>
> What is the usual way for automatic maintenance, that my .el files are
> loaded automatically, when
> starting Emacs?

You can save your lisp functions in the .emacs file. This file is to be
stored in C:/.emacs.
At least that worked for me on Windows XP.

> I would prefer that the lisp files are located in the site-lisp directory.

If you want to store the functions in a .el file then you may do that. But
you must include some functions like  load-function in .emacs or
load-library, require.
--
Regards,

Abdullah Abdul Khadir
Home page : www.cmi.ac.in/~abdullah
My blog      : www.linuxandlisp.blogspot.com

@ 2009-07-14 17:42   ` Erhy
From: Erhy @ 2009-07-14 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Am 13.07.2009 um 17:34 schrieb Erhy:
>
>> What is the usual way for automatic maintenance, that my .el files  are
>> loaded automatically, when
>> starting Emacs?
>

> For example: load-file, load-library, require…
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

So I see, there is a dir with .el files and a separate command file,
where each of this .el marked to be loaded.
I hoped there is a standard way, to coordinate the content of the
directory and the  associated lines in the command file automatically.

Thank you talking about
Erhy

* Re: for loading own lisp functions, if some in separated files, automatically
@ 2009-07-14 23:05     ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-07-14 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Erhy wrote:

> So I see, there is a dir with .el files and a separate command file,
> where each of this .el marked to be loaded.
> I hoped there is a standard way, to coordinate the content of the
> directory and the  associated lines in the command file automatically.
>
> Thank you talking about
> Erhy

You mean something like this?
(loop for lib in (directory-files "~/my-emacs-packages/" 't "elc?$" 't) do (load-library lib))

Although that will attempt to load both the .el and .elc should both exist.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: for loading own lisp functions, if some in separated files, automatically
@ 2009-07-14 23:16       ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-07-14 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You mean something like this?
> (loop for lib in (directory-files "~/my-emacs-packages/" 't "elc?$" 't)
> do (load-library lib))

Oops,
That should be

@ 2009-07-15  0:10       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-07-15  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin S. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.07.2009 um 01:05 schrieb Colin S. Miller:

> You mean something like this?
> (loop for lib in (directory-files "~/my-emacs-packages/" 't "elc?$"
> 't) do (load-library lib))

No (and also no to the updated version).

Add "~/my-emacs-packages" (or ~/.emacs.d etc., see documentation) to
GNU Emacs' load-path. If your Elisp files have a provide statement
you can require them (i.e., they get loaded when something they
provide gets used). Otherwise load-library has to be used.

And of course I thought you would put a series of load statements
into your init file to be able to comment or uncomment statements,
i.e., to have control of what "gets used." Anyway, if the ELC files
are tested and final versions, you can "load" them in a loop…

--
Greetings

   Pete

Perl—the only language that looks the same before and after RSA
encryption.
				- Keith Bostic