all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* installing line-numbers minor mode
@ 2009-03-06  0:47 Glen Rubin
From: Glen Rubin @ 2009-03-06  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am new to emacs and trying to install line-numbers-mode.  This is emacs 22 that I am calling under X

The directions to install it were as follows:

;; 1. byte-compile the elisp file
;; 2. add this line to your .emacs file:  (require 'line-numbers-mode)
;; 3. use the minor-mode-menu on modeline or M-x line-numbers-mode to toggle\

byte-compile went fine I put the resulting elc file in my .emacs.d directory

I then added the following lines to my .emacs file:

(setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d" load-path))
(require 'line-numbers-mode)

Now when i start up emacs an error comes up, but it's too quick for me to read...something about variable and void.

when I try to use the line-numbers-mode nothing changes.  Any help appreciated.

* Re: installing line-numbers minor mode
@ 2009-03-06  9:50 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-06  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rubinglen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Glen Rubin <rubinglen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now when i start up emacs an error comes up, but it's too quick for me
> to read...something about variable and void.

You can look up all previous messages in the *Messages* buffer.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: installing line-numbers minor mode
@ 2009-03-06  9:52 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-06  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rubinglen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.03.2009 um 01:47 schrieb Glen Rubin:

> Now when i start up emacs an error comes up, but it's too quick for
> me to read...something about variable and void.

Launch GNU Emacs à la: emacs --debug-init [...]

You'll get a *Backtrace* buffer. You might need to M-x toggle-
truncate-lines RET to read the complete lines.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Don't force it; get a larger hammer.