all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tex-parens package
@ 2024-06-27  3:02 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2024-06-27  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Would it make sense to integrate the tex-parens package into TeX mode?
That could make the feature more available and simpler to document.

* Re: tex-parens package
@ 2024-06-27  7:46 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-06-27  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel, Paul D. Nelson

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Would it make sense to integrate the tex-parens package into TeX mode?
> That could make the feature more available and simpler to document.

I have added Paul (the author) to the CC's.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine

* Re: tex-parens package
@ 2024-06-27 11:40   ` Paul Nelson
From: Paul Nelson @ 2024-06-27 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

I'd be happy to see it integrated further if there's interest, and would
then welcome feedback on how best to do that.  For instance, it could be
included "as is", as a collection of functions that the user can bind, or
alternatively as a minor mode ("tex-parens-mode"?) with a keymap that
remaps binds for list/sexp commands to their tex-parens counterparts.

@ 2024-06-28 22:28     ` Jeremy Bryant
From: Jeremy Bryant @ 2024-06-28 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Nelson; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

Paul Nelson <nelson.paul.david@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd be happy to see it integrated further if there's interest, and
> would then welcome feedback on how best to do that.  For instance, it
> could be included "as is", as a collection of functions that the user
> can bind, or alternatively as a minor mode ("tex-parens-mode"?) with
> a keymap that remaps binds for list/sexp commands to their tex-parens
> counterparts.

Is there a technical solution that makes it work for both the built-in
modes and auctex?

* Re: tex-parens package
@ 2024-06-29  1:28       ` Paul Nelson
From: Paul Nelson @ 2024-06-29  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Bryant; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 12:28 AM Jeremy Bryant <jb@jeremybryant.net> wrote:

> Paul Nelson <nelson.paul.david@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'd be happy to see it integrated further if there's interest, and
> > would then welcome feedback on how best to do that.  For instance, it
> > could be included "as is", as a collection of functions that the user
> > can bind, or alternatively as a minor mode ("tex-parens-mode"?) with
> > a keymap that remaps binds for list/sexp commands to their tex-parens
> > counterparts.
> >

> Is there a technical solution that makes it work for both the built-in
> modes and auctex?

The approaches I mentioned work with both the built-in modes and auctex.

Thinking a bit more: the features of tex-parens should be optional,
since they clash a bit with the defaults of both tex-mode.el and
auctex (which set forward-sexp-function and
beginning-of-defun-function, respectively).  This suggests packaging
those features as a minor mode.  I've updated the package just now to
contain such a minor mode, tex-parens-mode, which works as a hook for
either tex-mode or TeX-mode.  The basic setup thus simplifies to
adding a line such as (add-hook 'tex-mode #'tex-parens-mode) to one's
config.

The only way I can think of to integrate tex-parens further would be
to include it in Emacs and enable the minor mode by default (e.g., in
the setup of tex-mode and TeX-mode), but that seems a bit aggressive?
Any other suggestions would of course be welcome.