all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Icomplete + flex completion + tramp - input is 1 character off
@ 2020-10-13 15:28 Alex McGrath
From: Alex McGrath @ 2020-10-13 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emacs-Help,

While using tramp with icomplete and flex, I get the following behaviour when I try to
browse files/folders with C-x C-f

For example If i type in on my keyboard 'hello' the minibuffer will display 'hell' but
once I go back to editing local files it will work as expected. It also seems to start working
again once.

Once there are few enough completion candidates it seems to go back to working as expected,
as a result I think directories containing a lot of files are the most affected.

I can reproduce it with the following cut down version of my config:
--------
(package-initialize)
(require 'use-package)
(setq use-package-always-defer t)
(use-package minibuffer
  :hook (after-init . minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode) ; recursion depth
  :config
  (setq enable-recursive-minibuffers t)
  (setq completion-styles '(partial-completion flex))
)

(use-package icomplete
  :hook (after-init . icomplete-mode)
  :config
  :bind (:map icomplete-minibuffer-map
              ("TAB" . icomplete-force-complete)
              ("C-n" . icomplete-forward-completions)
              ("C-p" . icomplete-backward-completions)
              ("<return>" . icomplete-force-complete-and-exit!)
              ("RET" . icomplete-force-complete-and-exit!)))

(icomplete-mode)
-------

Thanks!
Alex