all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Way to use wsl utilities on windows 10 with emacs windows version.
@ 2019-06-05  8:03 范凯
From: 范凯 @ 2019-06-05  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear list,

As we known Emacs relays on many unix tools such as zip, unzip, hunspell, ispell, diff, etc.

Historically to use these kind of tools in Win32 emacs, one have to use cygwin or download them from gnu-win32 project on sf.net.

As recently MS had released the Windows Subsystem for Linux, aka. WSL. and it is able to run any linux commandline tool in windows command shell by calling "wsl" command then append the original wanted command line (include its arguments) as wsl's command arguments. eg.

say I want to get the different of filea.txt and fileb.txt in current directory, I can run following command in cmd.exe

wsl diff -u filea.txt fileb.txt

Then linux diff tool will be run and print the diff result to cmd.exe output buffer.

QUESTION: Has anyone successfully configured wsl related command in win32 emacs? Are there anyway to use this mechanism globally in win32-emacs, say prefix every command line utility with a wxl?

* Re: Way to use wsl utilities on windows 10 with emacs windows version.
@ 2019-06-08  4:48 ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-06-08  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

范凯 <m_pupil@163.com> writes:

> QUESTION: Has anyone successfully configured wsl
> related command in win32 emacs? Are there anyway
> to use this mechanism globally in win32-emacs,
> say prefix every command line utility with a
> wxl?

Several weeks ago there were headlines in the IT
news newmedia saying Microsoft has a plan for a
Terminal tool.  Apparently wsl is 2x or 5x slow

--
© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835

* Re: Way to use wsl utilities on windows 10 with emacs windows version.
@ 2019-06-08  6:07   ` m_pupil
From: m_pupil @ 2019-06-08  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Way to use wsl utilities on windows 10 with emacs windows version.
@ 2019-06-08  6:25     ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-06-08  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m_pupil; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On 8 Jun 2019, at 16:07, m_pupil@163.com wrote:
>
> Yes, and no. The wsl is said to be slow only because it is compared with the new wsl2 (which is based on vm). Anyway. Even wsl is slow, most of the 3rd party utilities emacs relayon is one time command we don't care about their performance in general.

If memory serves the wsl is 5x slower and the wsl2 is 2x slower. The filesystem layer was where I.T. was swimming in the mud like a Corporate Capitalist Pig (CCP) producing onetime use plastics waste at unprecedented scale.

I mention their Terminal plan only because it makes much much more sense architecturallythan the shoehorn-vm trick.

* Re: Way to use wsl utilities on windows 10 with emacs windows version.
@ 2019-06-08 21:39       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2019-06-08 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Van L; +Cc: m_pupil, help-gnu-emacs

> From: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 16:25:47 +1000
>
> I mention their Terminal plan only because it makes much much more
> sense architecturallythan the shoehorn-vm trick.

Totally agree. Currently WSL is okfor terminal and very light stuff.

M-x rmail RET is quite slow at incorporating new mails (+ saving the
RMAIL file).

Hopefully this will change both with WSL2 & this terminal for day to
day hacking.
--
Xavier Maillard