all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Missing files in build
@ 2017-11-14 18:54 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-11-14 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I updated from master a few days ago, copied the whole directory tree,
and tried to build Emacs there.  I got this error message:

charsets directory not found:
/usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/etc/charsets
Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.

What files are supposed to be in that directory, and what is supposed to put
them there?

I am NOT going to install the Emacs I build.
I am going to run it in the build directory.
That should not require installing any files it depends on.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Missing files in build
@ 2017-11-14 19:10 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2017-11-14 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms, emacs-devel

On 11/14/2017 10:54 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I updated from master a few days ago, copied the whole directory tree,
> and tried to build Emacs there.  I got this error message:
>
> charsets directory not found:
> /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/etc/charsets
> Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
>
> What files are supposed to be in that directory, and what is supposed to put
> them there?

I ran into a similar problem recently, and fixed it in commit
05aa6d4a68c036602f253fb27c3ca8995533b4c7 dated 2017-11-10. Perhaps
updating the current master will fix your problem too.

The problem had nothing to do with the directory or its files; it was an
internal error in Emacs.

* Re: Missing files in build
@ 2017-11-14 19:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-11-14 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 13:54:50 -0500
>
> I updated from master a few days ago, copied the whole directory tree,
> and tried to build Emacs there.  I got this error message:
>
> charsets directory not found:
> /usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/etc/charsets
> Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
>
> What files are supposed to be in that directory, and what is supposed to put
> them there?
>
> I am NOT going to install the Emacs I build.
> I am going to run it in the build directory.
> That should not require installing any files it depends on.

The error message is misleading regarding the expected location of the
directory because it names a directory that it tries to access as the
last resort.  The charsets/ directory used by an in-tree build is
actually in etc/charsets, not under /usr/local/share.

* Re: Missing files in build
@ 2017-11-20 21:51   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-11-20 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I ran into a similar problem recently, and fixed it in commit
  > 05aa6d4a68c036602f253fb27c3ca8995533b4c7 dated 2017-11-10. Perhaps
  > updating the current master will fix your problem too.

That worked -- thanks.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.