all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [ELPA] New package: vigenere
@ 2017-08-27 15:43 Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2017-08-27 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd like to submit vigenere.el to ELPA.  It's a single-file package to run a vigenere cipher[1] on a block of text.

If no one's got any objections, I'll add the package and copyright headers and push it to the git repo.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigen%C3%A8re_cipher

[-- Attachment #2: vigenere.el --]

Ian Dunn

* Re: [ELPA] New package: vigenere
@ 2017-08-28  1:08 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-08-28  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Dunn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Please add text to the doc string saying,

This is for historical interest, not a serious system for encryption.

You might think everyone knows that, but most people are not curious
about ciphers.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: [ELPA] New package: vigenere
@ 2017-08-29  0:02   ` Ian Dunn
From: Ian Dunn @ 2017-08-29  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

    RMS> Please add text to the doc string saying,

    RMS> This is for historical interest, not a serious system for encryption.

    RMS> You might think everyone knows that, but most people are not curious
    RMS> about ciphers.

Done.  I often find packages through their functions, so I added a note about it to the function doc strings and the package commentary, for good measure.

@ 2017-08-30  2:19     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-08-30  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Dunn; +Cc: emacs-devel

  >     RMS> This is for historical interest, not a serious system for encryption.

  >     RMS> You might think everyone knows that, but most people are not curious
  >     RMS> about ciphers.

  > Done.  I often find packages through their functions, so I added a note about it to the function doc strings and the package commentary, for good measure.

Thanks for doing this thoroughly.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: [ELPA] New package: vigenere
@ 2017-09-02  8:28     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2017-09-02  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "Ian" == Ian Dunn <dunni@gnu.org> writes:

   RMS> Please add text to the doc string saying,

   RMS> This is for historical interest, not a serious system for encryption.

   RMS> You might think everyone knows that, but most people are not curious
   RMS> about ciphers.

   > Done. I often find packages through their functions, so I added a note
   > about it to the function doc strings and the package commentary, for
   > good measure.

If I am not mistaken a Vigenere cipher is secure, if

    -  the key is as long as the message

    -  the key will only be used once

    -  the key is a random sequence

I am not entirely sure, but maybe this was the first implementation of a
one time pad.

BTW I think historically the autokey cipher, (the secret text is
added to the secret key) was also introduced by Vigenere. Maybe you
could add feature for historical reasons?

Uwe Brauer