all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xwidgets on macOS?
@ 2016-10-12 20:53 Perry E. Metzger
From: Perry E. Metzger @ 2016-10-12 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

Is there a way to use xwidgets on macOS under NS/Cocoa? I don't want
to have to run XQuartz...

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com

* Re: xwidgets on macOS?
@ 2016-10-13  1:22 ` Alex Dunn
From: Alex Dunn @ 2016-10-13  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry E. Metzger, Emacs Development

AFAIK xwidgets depends on X11; some related discussion here: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-08/msg00393.html

@ 2016-10-13  6:34   ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2016-10-13  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Dunn; +Cc: Emacs Development, Perry E. Metzger

Alex Dunn <dunn.alex@gmail.com> writes:

> AFAIK xwidgets depends on X11; some related discussion here: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-08/msg00393.html

GTK, which in turn might rely on X11.

> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to use xwidgets on macOS under NS/Cocoa? I don't want
>> to have to run XQuartz...
>>
>> Perry
>> --
>> Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se

* Re: xwidgets on macOS?
@ 2016-10-13 14:01 ` Charles A. Roelli
From: Charles A. Roelli @ 2016-10-13 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> Is there a way to use xwidgets on macOS under NS/Cocoa? I don't want
> to have to run XQuartz...
>
> Perry

I tried to build Emacs with gtk3 on a Mac recently, and the build failed
because the header file "gdk/gdkx.h" is not available (the compiler gave
warnings, after which linking temacs failed since symbols were missing).
Apparently the header is available only when gtk3 was built with X11,
not with Quartz.

* Re: xwidgets on macOS?
@ 2016-10-14 20:57   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-10-14 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles A. Roelli; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I tried to build Emacs with gtk3 on a Mac recently,

I hope someone will correct this problem in Emacs,
but the more important point is that MacOS is a nonfree system,
no less unjust than Windows.

--
Dr Richard Stallman