all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* OpenClipart.org for ELPA?
@ 2014-05-20 15:05 Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2014-05-20 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi.

I have a licensing question.  For chess.el, we provide a chessboard
display module which uses images to display a chess position.
Originally, these images were just taken from xboard.  This is, of
course, a bit problematic regarding ELPA inclusion.  I am currently
looking for a replacement for the xboard based images which would be
suitable for ELPA inclusion.  If I were not blind (sic), I'd actually
try and draw some myself.  However, since this is out of question, I
have found (with the help of a sighted coworker) chess piece images on
openclipart.org.  These are public domain.  I wonder, would such a
source be suitable for inclusion in an ELPA hosted project?

If not, I am sort of out of luck.  Is anyone on this list (who has
signed papers with FSF) capable and willing to draw 12 different chess piece images
for chess.el?  We currently need XPM format, as %c-%p.xpm, where %c is
either black or white, and %p is one of
pawn, knight, bishop, rook, queen and king.  Something between
48x48 and 96x96 is probably a good size.
https://github.com/skainz/emacs-chess-pieces has a generate.sh script
which demonstrates how to deal with background color such that things
are actually "transparent", at least that is what I am told.

Thanks for your input.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

* Re: OpenClipart.org for ELPA?
@ 2014-05-20 15:31 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2014-05-20 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang, emacs-devel

Mario Lang wrote:
> These are public domain.  I wonder, would such a
> source be suitable for inclusion in an ELPA hosted project?

Yes.  Public domain means that there are no copyright restrictions in
using the images.

* Re: OpenClipart.org for ELPA?
@ 2014-05-20 18:52 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2014-05-20 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

() Mario Lang <mlang@delysid.org>
() Tue, 20 May 2014 17:05:54 +0200

   We currently need XPM format, as %c-%p.xpm, where %c is either
   black or white, and %p is one of pawn, knight, bishop, rook,
   queen and king.

I just added package ‘xpm’ to ELPA.  Maybe you could use it to
"compose" (algorithmically create) these pieces?  Here's a snapshot
of wip gnugo-d0.el, which does just that, for (ELPA package)
‘gnugo’:

[-- Attachment #1.2: gnugo-d0.el --]

The component forms are much simpler (lines and circles only) than
for chess, so artistry is not the draw (yuk yuk), here.  Instead,
the Cool Hack IMHO is that the primary dimension (pixel length of a
square side) is computed based on window height, and moreover that
computation is user customizable (see ‘gnugo-d0-sizing-function’).

The end result is that the user can turn on the menu-bar (for
example) or resize the frame, and it's enough to type ‘i’ (to
toggle image-display mode) twice to have updated XPMs appear.
It's not real-time ("SIGWINCH" handler) resizing, but close enough
for me (and my slow computer :-D).

Also, it *almost* goes w/o mentioning: Generating XPM images on
the fly means less disk footprint, easier package management, no
search-path groveling, etc.  That's regardless of resize support.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

* Re: OpenClipart.org for ELPA?
@ 2014-05-21  5:41 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-05-21  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Lang; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Originally, these images were just taken from xboard.  This is, of
    course, a bit problematic regarding ELPA inclusion.

If they come from another GNU package, we can use them.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation