all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changes to ELisp manual in revision 106667
@ 2011-12-12 12:24 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-12-12 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Can you please explain the reason for these changes in the top-level
menu?  They look gratuitous to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

  -* Libraries: Lisp Libraries.      Creating Lisp programs to run in Emacs.
  -* Eval: Lisp Eval.      Executing a single Lisp expression in Emacs.
  -* Interaction: Lisp Interaction.  Executing Lisp in an Emacs buffer.
  +* Lisp Libraries::      How Lisp programs are loaded into Emacs.
  +* Lisp Eval::           Executing a single Lisp expression in Emacs.
  +* Lisp Interaction::    Executing Lisp in an Emacs buffer.

TIA

* Re: Changes to ELisp manual in revision 106667
@ 2011-12-13 13:59 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-12-13 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Can you please explain the reason for these changes in the top-level
> menu?  They look gratuitous to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
>
>   -* Libraries: Lisp Libraries.      Creating Lisp programs to run in Emacs.
>   -* Eval: Lisp Eval.      Executing a single Lisp expression in Emacs.
>   -* Interaction: Lisp Interaction.  Executing Lisp in an Emacs buffer.
>   +* Lisp Libraries::      How Lisp programs are loaded into Emacs.
>   +* Lisp Eval::           Executing a single Lisp expression in Emacs.
>   +* Lisp Interaction::    Executing Lisp in an Emacs buffer.

It seemed not quite right to use the short form, since the rest of the
items in the menu dealt with stuff like compilation and didn't share a
common "Lisp" topic prefix.  But it's no big deal.

* Re: Changes to ELisp manual in revision 106667
@ 2011-12-13 14:28   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-12-13 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 21:59:30 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Can you please explain the reason for these changes in the top-level
> > menu?  They look gratuitous to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
> >
> >   -* Libraries: Lisp Libraries.      Creating Lisp programs to run in Emacs.
> >   -* Eval: Lisp Eval.      Executing a single Lisp expression in Emacs.
> >   -* Interaction: Lisp Interaction.  Executing Lisp in an Emacs buffer.
> >   +* Lisp Libraries::      How Lisp programs are loaded into Emacs.
> >   +* Lisp Eval::           Executing a single Lisp expression in Emacs.
> >   +* Lisp Interaction::    Executing Lisp in an Emacs buffer.
>
> It seemed not quite right to use the short form, since the rest of the
> items in the menu dealt with stuff like compilation and didn't share a
> common "Lisp" topic prefix.  But it's no big deal.

It's a convenience feature: the user types "m Eval RET" instead of "m
Lisp Eval RET".  This leaves the node names sufficiently non-generic
to prevent collision, and yet does not punish users by causing them to
type more text.

* Re: Changes to ELisp manual in revision 106667
@ 2011-12-15 21:39     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2011-12-15 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> It's a convenience feature: the user types "m Eval RET" instead of "m
> Lisp Eval RET".  This leaves the node names sufficiently non-generic
> to prevent collision, and yet does not punish users by causing them to
> type more text.

I'm more worried about the convenience of using prefixes in M-x
to complete command names used several times every day.

For instance, there are no keybindings for customization commands, and
`M-x cus TAB' used to complete to `customize', but now this is not easy
to do after `custom-theme-visit-theme' with the shorter prefix `custom'
now is exposed to the list of commands.  This problem can be solved by using
the capitalized prefix `Custom-' like for other similar internal commands of
Customization UI.