Hello I ran apt-get build-dep emacs23 and it finished without errors. I believe I have now all the necessary libraries. Then I ran again ./configure, which I had to stop manually after some hours, since it was checkig the same things over and over again. This time, however, I found the following files on the source directory: BUGS ChangeLog conf0t8UU4 conf2nW3tx conf2TUADF conf4eDUyz conf55kCfy conf6aWsGa conf77ybRv conf9cvIw5 conf9ZrvVL confaF8UVr confb2vP2q confbSIaxf confct5ST4 confd4q8h8 confdefs.h confDSOWiB confDyVycT confE0p7L8 confeEXGbn confEWYCCM confFbGcaX conffF1T70 conffKlYW4 confG5Srbl confg96l0F confGjZUoI confh9oNug confHSvkIw confiangPJ confIG1W0Q config.bat config.guess config.log config.status config.sub configure configure.in confIHb166 confimSqR5 confIUuEdH conflia6z5 confLWztkt confLZ2X2T confM0vFLr confMdmNLn confmirRBd confmyxrkb confO371X0 confohMxMu confOjZBVU confOVuWhH confPWyIz6 confpyVULZ confq93dmm confQfsHuB confRwmhVc confS7m7rK confSUOqcl conft5eNxo confTDH8ai conftest.c confTgLUip confTxjcW5 confuo2ySs confWbNvqm confWO1cJQ confWzfwLE confWZxRMo confXhhdwt confyNBjEa confyrlLU8 confysRNcn confzn3M9V confZQSBvK COPYING doc etc info INSTALL install-sh leim lib-src lisp lwlib m4 make-dist Makefile Makefile.in mkinstalldirs move-if-change msdos nextstep nt oldXMenu README site-lisp src update-subdirs vpath.sed  Since a Makefile seemed to be there this time, I ran make and again I had the same checkings being run over and over again on the screen Should I add that ps gives me back 153 stopped jobs, almost all named make and config.status Best regards Alisa Bezkresta 22 августа 2011, 22:57 от suvayu ali : 2011/8/22 Алиса Безкреста : > Hello > > I wanted to install emacs, so I ran ./configure. > After a while it told me it has found an error of the kind: You seem to be > running X, but no development libraries were found. You should bla bla bla. > If you are sure you want Emacs compiled without X window support, pass > --without-x to configure. > So next I ran ./configure --without-x and I waited. After waiting a lot I > started having the feeling of having a deja-vu experience. On the screen I > was seeing things I had seen before. It seemed as if the machine was > checking the same things round and round again. So I left the machine alone. > When I returned after some hours its state was the same: checking round and > round. I stopped it. > > After this, when I ran make, it told me: no targets specified and no > makefile found > > What is happening? > You probably don't have all the development libraries installed. Getting this list right and complete can be a bit tricky. If you are on a redhat based system you can try # yum-builddep emacs to install them. > Best regards > > Alisa Bezkresta GL -- Suvayu Open source is the future. It sets us free.