all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6073: 23.1.50; delete-selection-mode
@ 2010-05-01 18:38 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-05-01 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 6073

I found a reproducible test case for the painful result I mentioned
before with C-u C-y in Delete Selection mode.

This Emacs is somewhat old; I have not built a newer one.
I will try to do so soon.

I visit the text between the ---- lines (not including them)
in Fundamental mode, do M-x delete-selection-mode RET to enable it,
then I go to the blank line after the first paragraph and type
C-SPC C-u C-n M-w C-x C-x C-u C-y
and the text does not change.  Apparently C-u C-y deletes
the region before yanking.

* ACTA must respect sharing and cooperation: it must do nothing that
  would hinder the unremunerated noncommercial making, copying,
  giving, lending, owning, using, transporting, importing or exporting
  of any objects or works.

* ACTA must not weasel about what is commercial: no labeling of any
  noncommercial activities as somehow commercial-like or treating them
  as if they were commercial.

* ACTA must not tighten digital handcuffs: it must not hinder any
  activity in regard to any product on account of its capacity to
  circumvent technical measures that restrict use of copies of works
  of authorship.

* bug#6073: 23.1.50; delete-selection-mode
@ 2010-05-01 20:07 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-05-01 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms, 6073

> I found a reproducible test case for the painful result I mentioned
> before with C-u C-y in Delete Selection mode.
>
> This Emacs is somewhat old; I have not built a newer one.
> I will try to do so soon.
>
> I visit the text between the ---- lines (not including them)
> in Fundamental mode, do M-x delete-selection-mode RET to enable it,
> then I go to the blank line after the first paragraph and type
> C-SPC C-u C-n M-w C-x C-x C-u C-y
> and the text does not change.  Apparently C-u C-y deletes
> the region before yanking.

> * ACTA must respect sharing and cooperation: it must do nothing that
>   would hinder the unremunerated noncommercial making, copying,
>   giving, lending, owning, using, transporting, importing or exporting
>   of any objects or works.
>
> * ACTA must not weasel about what is commercial: no labeling of any
>   noncommercial activities as somehow commercial-like or treating them
>   as if they were commercial.
>
> * ACTA must not tighten digital handcuffs: it must not hinder any
>   activity in regard to any product on account of its capacity to
>   circumvent technical measures that restrict use of copies of works
>   of authorship.

You probably already know this, but in case you do not: C-x C-x activates the
region. Since it is active, your yank replaces the region text.

If you do C-g after C-x C-x I think you will get the behavior you expected.

* bug#6073: 23.1.50; delete-selection-mode
@ 2010-05-02  0:59   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-02  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: rms, 6073

> You probably already know this, but in case you do not: C-x C-x activates the
> region.  Since it is active, your yank replaces the region text.

Indeed.

> If you do C-g after C-x C-x I think you will get the behavior you expected.

Better is to use C-u C-x C-x, which contrary to C-x C-x doesn't activate
the region.

* bug#6073: 23.1.50; delete-selection-mode
@ 2010-05-02 18:46   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-05-02 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 6073

    You probably already know this, but in case you do not: C-x C-x activates the
    region. Since it is active, your yank replaces the region text.

Yes, I know that is the explanation for what happened.
The point is, it was quite inconvenient.  And it surprised
me that C-y would delete the region.

* bug#6073: 23.1.50; delete-selection-mode
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-21 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms; +Cc: 6073

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     You probably already know this, but in case you do not: C-x C-x
> activates the
>     region. Since it is active, your yank replaces the region text.
>
> Yes, I know that is the explanation for what happened.
> The point is, it was quite inconvenient.  And it surprised
> me that C-y would delete the region.

This is apparently intended behaviour in Emacs 24, so I'm closing this
bug report.