all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* The "Waiting for Emacs server to start" problem on w32
@ 2010-03-08  0:12 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-03-08  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Some people have had with starting emacs server on w32. I believe this
is an ownership problem that was discussed on this list before, but I
am not sure.

Could someone who knows please have a look here and tell if this is
the right cure for the problem:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsW32#toc47

I think the whole section above also is about the same problem.

* Re: The "Waiting for Emacs server to start" problem on w32
@ 2010-03-08  6:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-03-08  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 01:12:07 +0100
>
> Some people have had with starting emacs server on w32. I believe this
> is an ownership problem that was discussed on this list before, but I
> am not sure.
>
> Could someone who knows please have a look here and tell if this is
> the right cure for the problem:
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsW32#toc47
>
> I think the whole section above also is about the same problem.

That URL includes a longish discussion, almost all of it from 2 years
ago, about a problem that was resolved back then.  Could you please
point out what part of the discussion are you asking about? and what
part of it do you have in mind as ``the right cure''?

As an aside, how come the ~/.emacs.d directory is created before the
user has ever run Emacs?  If there are ownership problems, then I'm
quite sure that one of the reasons is the fact that this directory is
created under the same credentials as the ones used to run the
installer, and not under the user's credentials.  This is a bug in the
installation procedure that should be fixed IMO, regardless of whether
it causes the issue at hand.