all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Colors through Putty
@ 2009-12-15 14:12 Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2009-12-15 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs list

Hello,

I have to access emacs from a Windows ssh shell (chose Putty) and the
terminal shows absolutely no colors.
Is there a way to configure emacs to be coloured through Putty? Or, is
there a better ssh shell than Putty?

Cheers,

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocmatos at gmail.com
http://www.pmatos.net

* Re: Colors through Putty
@ 2009-12-15 15:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-12-15 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:12:33 +0000
>
> I have to access emacs from a Windows ssh shell (chose Putty) and the
> terminal shows absolutely no colors.

It works for me.

What do you have as the value of $TERM variable when you login via
PuTTY?  It might be set to something that dupes Emacs into thinking
it's a terminal that doesn't support colors.

Also, make sure the options on the "Colours" tab in the PuTTY
configuration for your session are set up correctly, as to not disable
colors.

> Is there a way to configure emacs to be coloured through Putty?

If your PuTTY session is set up correctly, and if $TERM says something
sensible, the color support should happen automatically.  You don't
need to tell Emacs anything.

* Re: Colors through Putty
       [not found] <mailman.13012.1260886386.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-16  0:34 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-12-16  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 15, 10:12 pm, "Paulo J. Matos" <pocma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to access emacs from a Windows ssh shell (chose Putty) and the
> terminal shows absolutely no colors.
> Is there a way to configure emacs to be coloured through Putty? Or, is
> there a better ssh shell than Putty?

IIRC the default configuration of PuTTY specifies vt100 for its
terminal string (under Connection/Data in the PuTTY config).  Changing
this to xterm or xterm256  should result in colors appearing (the
latter may not be supported on all servers).

@ 2009-12-16 15:10 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-12-16 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Paulo J. Matos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to access emacs from a Windows ssh shell (chose Putty) and the
> terminal shows absolutely no colors.
> Is there a way to configure emacs to be coloured through Putty? Or, is
> there a better ssh shell than Putty?
>
> Cheers,

Is it possible to install an xserver on your windows box? (MinGW and Cygwin are both open source;
there are others, some might even been free-beer).
This will allow emacs to open a full display on your windows machine.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: Colors through Putty
@ 2009-12-17  9:18   ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2009-12-17  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: "Paulo J. Matos" <pocmatos@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 14:12:33 +0000
>>
>> I have to access emacs from a Windows ssh shell (chose Putty) and the
>> terminal shows absolutely no colors.
>
> It works for me.
>
> What do you have as the value of $TERM variable when you login via
> PuTTY?  It might be set to something that dupes Emacs into thinking
> it's a terminal that doesn't support colors.

It says xterm.

> Also, make sure the options on the "Colours" tab in the PuTTY
> configuration for your session are set up correctly, as to not disable
> colors.
>
>> Is there a way to configure emacs to be coloured through Putty?
>
> If your PuTTY session is set up correctly, and if $TERM says something
> sensible, the color support should happen automatically.  You don't
> need to tell Emacs anything.

Not only emacs doesn't show any colours but even though I can see
colours in the terminal when doing ls or so, if the lines is too long
it start eating the lines above and everything gets very messy.

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocmatos at gmail.com
http://www.pmatos.net

* Re: Colors through Putty
@ 2009-12-17  9:30   ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2009-12-17  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Colin S. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Colin S. Miller
<no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Paulo J. Matos wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have to access emacs from a Windows ssh shell (chose Putty) and the
>> terminal shows absolutely no colors.
>> Is there a way to configure emacs to be coloured through Putty? Or, is
>> there a better ssh shell than Putty?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> Is it possible to install an xserver on your windows box? (MinGW and Cygwin
> are both open source;
> there are others, some might even been free-beer).
> This will allow emacs to open a full display on your windows machine.
>
> HTH,
> Colin S. Miller

That's an excellent idea. I have MinGW installed but I have no idea
how to configure it to do that. Any tutorials out there? Do I need to
get something like Xming or is it already distrubuted with MinGW?

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocmatos at gmail.com
http://www.pmatos.net

* Re: Colors through Putty
@ 2009-12-17 14:34     ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2009-12-17 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Colin S. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's an excellent idea. I have MinGW installed but I have no idea
> how to configure it to do that. Any tutorials out there? Do I need to
> get something like Xming or is it already distrubuted with MinGW?

OK, just managed to do it, thanks!

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocmatos at gmail.com
http://www.pmatos.net