all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
To: Ed Reingold <reingold@emr.cs.iit.edu>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Defaulting to fancy diary display
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 03:51:06 -0400	[thread overview]

    >     The only advantage of the simple display is that you can edit the
    >     diary file directly.
    >
    > I think this is a fundamental advantage.  I wish we could implement
    > the other features of fancy diary display while preserving this.

    It's no advantage at all; it is a fundamental DISadvantage to have the default
    be the simple file with lines concealed.  Of course that is the file you need
    to edit, but what you want to look at in the processed file, ie the fancy
    form.

The fancy processed form is more useful to look at.
At the same time, it is an advantage to be able to edit the
same form that you look at.

The ideal would be to combine both advantages:
to display the diary  as in fancy mode
AND let you edit it and save it.

Maybe this can be implemented now with buffer swapping,
a la RMail Edit mode.

      It's like insisting that you only look at the .tex file, never the .pdf
    output.

I see it as like using a WYSIWYG word processor where the version you
see is also editable.