all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* where does emacs23 store the info that was UnicodeData.txt?
@ 2009-08-12 17:00 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-12 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

in emacs 22, one can put in this unicode data file to emacs so that
what-cursor-position with C-u can give full info about a char:

; load unicode data; used by what-cursor-position for showing full
unicode info
(setq describe-char-unicodedata-file
      (concat (file-name-directory
               (or load-file-name buffer-file-name))
"UnicodeData.txt" ))

by looking at the output, it appears to me emacs 23 now has the full
info on unicode char without needing that file.

Is that true?

where does emacs get the data that was in UnicodeData.txt?

thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: where does emacs23 store the info that was UnicodeData.txt?
@ 2009-08-13  4:20 ` B. T. Raven
       [not found] ` <mailman.4496.1250141547.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-08-13  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee wrote:
> in emacs 22, one can put in this unicode data file to emacs so that
> what-cursor-position with C-u can give full info about a char:
>
> ; load unicode data; used by what-cursor-position for showing full
> unicode info
> (setq describe-char-unicodedata-file
>       (concat (file-name-directory
>                (or load-file-name buffer-file-name))
> "UnicodeData.txt" ))
>
> by looking at the output, it appears to me emacs 23 now has the full
> info on unicode char without needing that file.
>
> Is that true?
>
> where does emacs get the data that was in UnicodeData.txt?
>
> thanks.
>
>   Xah
> ∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

The internal representation in ver. 23 is now Unicode, as far as I
understand. On ver 22, ☄ would be reported as some "Emacs" byte sequence
but on ver 23 it will give the actual U+XXXX code point for that glyph
or character or whatever you call it.

Ed

* Re: where does emacs23 store the info that was UnicodeData.txt?
@ 2009-08-13  5:20   ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-13  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 12, 9:20 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Xah Lee wrote:
> > in emacs 22, one can put in this unicode data file to emacs so that
> > what-cursor-position with C-u can give full info about a char:
>
> > ; load unicode data; used by what-cursor-position for showing full
> > unicode info
> > (setq describe-char-unicodedata-file
> >       (concat (file-name-directory
> >                (or load-file-name buffer-file-name))
> > "UnicodeData.txt" ))
>
> > by looking at the output, it appears to me emacs 23 now has the full
> > info on unicode char without needing that file.
>
> > Is that true?
>
> > where does emacs get the data that was in UnicodeData.txt?
>
> > thanks.
>
> >   Xah
> > ∑http://xahlee.org/
>
> > ☄
>
> The internal representation in ver. 23 is now Unicode, as far as I
> understand. On ver 22, ☄ would be reported as some "Emacs" byte sequence
> but on ver 23 it will give the actual U+XXXX code point for that glyph
> or character or whatever you call it.

yes, but am wondering where does emacs get the unicode char property?

e.g., do describe-char,  and you get:

---------------------
        character: ☄ (9732, #o23004, #x2604)
preferred charset: unicode-bmp (Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane (U
+0000..U+FFFF))
       code point: 0x2604
           syntax: w 	which means: word
         category: .:Base
      buffer code: #xE2 #x98 #x84
        file code: #xE2 #x98 #x84 (encoded by coding system utf-8-dos)
          display: no font available

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: COMET
  general-category: So (Symbol, Other)
---------------------

Notice the last 3 lines. These info wasn't in emacs 22, unless you
install the UnicodeData.txt file. But since in my emacs 23, i took out
the UnicodeData.txt, it still know the char is named COMET, as well as
info like “general-category: So (Symbol, Other)”. So, am wondering
where it got it?

@ 2009-08-13  5:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.4496.1250141547.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-13  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
>
> by looking at the output, it appears to me emacs 23 now has the full
> info on unicode char without needing that file.
>
> Is that true?

Yes, that's true.

> where does emacs get the data that was in UnicodeData.txt?

It's in lisp/international/uni-*.el and lisp/international/charprop.el
files.  Don't bother looking at the uni-*.el files: they are binary
and compressed for size and fast access.

See admin/unidata/unidata-gen.el (in the CVS) for how these files are
generated from UnicodeData.txt.

@ 2009-08-13 18:52   ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2009-08-13 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs