all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Fwd: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender]
@ 2008-01-07 20:27 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-01-07 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel, Stefan Monnier

I got this in return, see below for the actual message

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:22:44 +0100
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; DISPLAY env var bug on w32?

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> I can not use emacsclient to open files unless I delete the
> environmental variable DISPLAY.
>
> To reproduce the problem do
>
>   emacs -Q
>   M-x server-mode
>
> Then from the command line try to open a file, for example
>
>   emacsclient.exe COPYING
>
> This fails with the message
>
>   C:\emacs\u\080104\emacs\bin>emacsclient.exe COPYING
>   Waiting for Emacs...
>   *ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x

It looks like several possible bugs to me. A call from emacsclient leads to

    server-process-filter

and since tty-name is nil this calls

    server-select-display

In this function there is a check

     (equal (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'display) display))

This fails since (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'display) returns "".
   I would expect it to return "localhost:0.0" in my case. The reason for
this is explained further below.

Now this leads to a call to

    make-frame-on-display

which finishes with a line at the bottom saying

    (make-frame `((window-system . x) (display . ,display) .
      ,parameters)))

The correct window-system seems to be 'w32 in my case, since that is
what works inf make-frame. The variable frame-creation-function-alist
used there is

    ((w32 . x-create-frame-with-faces)
     (nil . tty-create-frame-with-faces))

If I use this then the frame actually get the display property
"localhost:0.0" and that is why I believe that this is what it should
have from the beginning. So this is bug 1 here I believe.

But 2 is the hard coded value in the last line of make-frame-on-display.
It looks like window-system should be something different there.

When I try to find out what I see in server-process-filter some lines saying

		 ;; -window-system:  Open a new X frame.
		 ((equal "-window-system" arg)
                    (setq dontkill t)
                    (setq tty-name 'window-system))

Those are a bit surprising to me since I expect an analogous use of
something called "window-system" throughout the code. Obviously that is
not the case here.

And here I stop speculating because there might be some mistake in the
structure here. Someone who understands this code better than I do can
perhaps see more clearly what is needed.

* Re: [Fwd: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender]
@ 2008-01-08 19:08 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-01-08 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

I forwarded that to sysadmin.  That is the way to reach people
that could fix such a problem.