all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to open a particular info page by command name
@ 2007-12-03 13:04 rdiezmail-emacs
From: rdiezmail-emacs @ 2007-12-03 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all:

In the command-line (outside emacs) I can do "man xxx" to get help
about a Unix command, and "info xxx" to get help in the form of info
pages.

I easily found how to do "man xxx" within emacs and comfortably browse
the help pages, I'm using the "woman" module at the moment (it comes
with emacs). I even wrote a small shell script to turn emacs into a
handy man page viewer:

emacs --no-splash --eval "(progn (setq woman-use-own-frame nil) (woman
\"$1\"))" &

Unfortunately, I couldn't find how to do the same with the info pages.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want to manually open the root info page
and click around; I want to type the name of a command (say gcc) and
get the same page I would get if I typed "info gcc" in the console, but
inside the built-in emacs info page viewer.

I've searched with Google and browsed the Lisp code of the info module
to no avail. Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot,
  Ruben

       __________________________________ Ihr erstes Fernweh? Wo gibt es den schönsten Strand? www.yahoo.de/clever