all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [mail.list.steel.mental@gmail.com: chinese group names can not displayed properly in *Complation* buffer]
       [not found] ` <b4m7im7spqn.fsf@jpl.org>
@ 2007-10-01 17:40   ` Richard Stallman
  2007-10-01 18:27     ` Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories (was: [mail.list.steel.mental@gmail.com: chinese group names can not displayed properly in *Complation* buffer]) Reiner Steib
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-01 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: emacs-devel

    The non-ASCII group names handling of Gnus was much improved in
    the Gnus CVS trunk[1], not in the v5-10 branch which is being
    synchronized with Emacs CVS.

Should the Gnus trunk version go into the Emacs trunk?

@ 2007-10-01 18:27     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Katsumi Yamaoka, emacs-devel

On Mon, Oct 01 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     The non-ASCII group names handling of Gnus was much improved in
>     the Gnus CVS trunk[1], not in the v5-10 branch which is being
>     synchronized with Emacs CVS.
>
> Should the Gnus trunk version go into the Emacs trunk?

Yes, this is what we plan to do.  (Cf. the thread "Syncing Gnus and
Emacs repositories" back in June.)  Due to the problems with Miles
internet connection an some issues about PGG this hasn't happened yet.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories (was: [mail.list.steel.mental@gmail.com: chinese group names can not displayed properly in *Complation* buffer])
@ 2007-10-02  3:32       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-02  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: yamaoka, emacs-devel

    > Should the Gnus trunk version go into the Emacs trunk?

    Yes, this is what we plan to do.  (Cf. the thread "Syncing Gnus and
    Emacs repositories" back in June.)  Due to the problems with Miles
    internet connection an some issues about PGG this hasn't happened yet.

Can't you do this without Miles?

* Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
@ 2007-10-02  7:16         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-02  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: yamaoka, emacs-devel, Miles Bader

On Tue, Oct 02 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     > Should the Gnus trunk version go into the Emacs trunk?
>
>     Yes, this is what we plan to do.  (Cf. the thread "Syncing Gnus and
>     Emacs repositories" back in June.)  Due to the problems with Miles
>     internet connection an some issues about PGG this hasn't happened yet.
>
> Can't you do this without Miles?

As a one-time-shot: probably yes (if someone has the time to do it).
But I'm not sure if this would later cause extra work for Miles.  And
we need to fix the PGG issues first (I need to look into this, and
will do).

But for a permanent sync, we need a semi-automatic process
(e.g. Miles' sync via arch).  (Please change the subject, when turning
this thread into some general version control system discussion).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-10-02 13:35           ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2007-10-02 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib, Richard Stallman, Miles Bader, yamaoka, emacs-devel

2007/10/2, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc>:
> On Tue, Oct 02 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> >     > Should the Gnus trunk version go into the Emacs trunk?
> >
> >     Yes, this is what we plan to do.  (Cf. the thread "Syncing Gnus and
> >     Emacs repositories" back in June.)  Due to the problems with Miles
> >     internet connection an some issues about PGG this hasn't happened yet.
> >
> > Can't you do this without Miles?
>
> As a one-time-shot: probably yes (if someone has the time to do it).
> But I'm not sure if this would later cause extra work for Miles.  And
> we need to fix the PGG issues first (I need to look into this, and
> will do).

IIUC, it is Miles who knows what the issues are.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
@ 2007-10-02 21:59             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-02 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: yamaoka, emacs-devel, Reiner.Steib, miles

    IIUC, it is Miles who knows what the issues are.

If there are issues about installing the new Gnus version into Emacs,
Don't the Gnus developers know what these issues are?

Have you tried running the latest Gnus in the current trunk Emacs?
Does it work?

* Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-02 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: yamaoka, emacs-devel, miles

    As a one-time-shot: probably yes (if someone has the time to do it).
    But I'm not sure if this would later cause extra work for Miles.

Why is Miles specially relevant here?

We have no idea how long Miles will be unable to do this, so I think
we need to prepare to go on with work even in his absence.

* Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
@ 2007-10-03 11:09               ` Daiki Ueno
From: Daiki Ueno @ 2007-10-03 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: yamaoka, miles, Reiner.Steib, emacs-devel

2007/10/3, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>:
>     IIUC, it is Miles who knows what the issues are.
>
> If there are issues about installing the new Gnus version into Emacs,
> Don't the Gnus developers know what these issues are?

Hopefully.  But Miles said that he tried test-merge and he encountered
several issues about PGG, and he couldn't remember the issues were.
How do we can know his issues?

> Have you tried running the latest Gnus in the current trunk Emacs?
> Does it work?

I believe so.  However, I stop using Gnus for daily work and I can't
tell whether there are really issues about PGG or not.  Reiner Steib
and Katsumi Yamaoka also said that they rarely use Gnus' PGP
functions.

Therefore we need a tester who keeps track on cvs.gnus.org, replaces
Gnus' pgg*.el with Emacs', uses Gnus' PGP functions for daily work,
and has not yet switched to EasyPG.

It looks like a ridiculous situation for me...

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno

* Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
@ 2007-10-03 11:29                 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-10-03 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-10-03 12:09 +0100, Daiki Ueno wrote:
> Therefore we need a tester who keeps track on cvs.gnus.org, replaces
> Gnus' pgg*.el with Emacs', uses Gnus' PGP functions for daily work,
> and has not yet switched to EasyPG.

Someone probably RMS should decide what to do with the situation. The
discussion has been going on for ages.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
@ 2007-10-03 13:41                   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-03 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, Oct 03 2007, Leo wrote:

> On 2007-10-03 12:09 +0100, Daiki Ueno wrote:
>> Therefore we need a tester who keeps track on cvs.gnus.org, replaces
>> Gnus' pgg*.el with Emacs', uses Gnus' PGP functions for daily work,
>> and has not yet switched to EasyPG.

As neither Gnus trunk nor Emacs trunk are going to be released soon, I
think we can risk to break something temporally.  (Both are
development versions after all.)

> Someone probably RMS should decide what to do with the situation. The
> discussion has been going on for ages.

Nobody volunteered to work on it (during my vacation), see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/64959/focus=65116>.
I will work on it now.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-10-03 14:10                     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-10-03 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-10-03 14:41 +0100, Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03 2007, Leo wrote:
>
>> On 2007-10-03 12:09 +0100, Daiki Ueno wrote:
>>> Therefore we need a tester who keeps track on cvs.gnus.org, replaces
>>> Gnus' pgg*.el with Emacs', uses Gnus' PGP functions for daily work,
>>> and has not yet switched to EasyPG.
>
> As neither Gnus trunk nor Emacs trunk are going to be released soon, I
> think we can risk to break something temporally.  (Both are
> development versions after all.)

Agree.

>> Someone probably RMS should decide what to do with the situation. The
>> discussion has been going on for ages.
>
> Nobody volunteered to work on it (during my vacation), see
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/64959/focus=65116>.
> I will work on it now.

Thanks.

--

@ 2007-10-04  2:03                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-04  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiki Ueno; +Cc: yamaoka, miles, Reiner.Steib, emacs-devel

    Hopefully.  But Miles said that he tried test-merge and he encountered
    several issues about PGG, and he couldn't remember the issues were.
    How do we can know his issues?

If he does not remember them, he could not tell you anything about
them, even if he were available.

So you may as well just do the best you can.  Nobody else can do
better.

    I believe so.  However, I stop using Gnus for daily work and I can't
    tell whether there are really issues about PGG or not.  Reiner Steib
    and Katsumi Yamaoka also said that they rarely use Gnus' PGP
    functions.

Install the new version and we will see if there are any problems.
Also, by and by we will install EasyPG.  We want to do this.

* Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
@ 2007-10-16 20:58             ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-16 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Miles Bader, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Tue, Oct 02 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     As a one-time-shot: probably yes (if someone has the time to do it).
>     But I'm not sure if this would later cause extra work for Miles.
>
> Why is Miles specially relevant here?

Miles has volunteered to sync Gnus and Emacs.  I'm unsure if a
one-time-shot sync would cause him extra work.  If so, I'd prefer to
avoid it.

> We have no idea how long Miles will be unable to do this, so I think
> we need to prepare to go on with work even in his absence.

Stefan offered help for syncing Emacs branches [1].  If Stefan also
would like to help syncing Gnus and Emacs, I'm sure he could get write
access to Gnus repository.

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
,----[ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/80166 ]

`----
--
       ,,,

@ 2007-10-16 21:10               ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-16 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: yamaoka, Daiki Ueno, emacs-devel, miles

On Tue, Oct 02 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Have you tried running the latest Gnus in the current trunk Emacs?
> Does it work?

I run latest Gnus trunk and EMACS_22_BASE.  Several others use Gnus
trunk and Emacs trunk.  I don't expect major problems.

On Thu, Oct 04 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I believe so.  However, I stop using Gnus for daily work and I can't
>     tell whether there are really issues about PGG or not.  Reiner Steib
>     and Katsumi Yamaoka also said that they rarely use Gnus' PGP
>     functions.

I have made the required changes in Gnus trunk (revert PGG to the
version in Emacs) on 2007-10-03; no complains yet.

> Install the new version and we will see if there are any problems.

I assume you refer to the new Gnus version here (i.e. sync Gnus trunk
to Emacs trunk).  This could be done now, when someone finds time to
do it.

@ 2007-10-16 21:19                 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-10-16 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: yamaoka, Daiki Ueno, emacs-devel

> I have made the required changes in Gnus trunk (revert PGG to the
> version in Emacs) on 2007-10-03; no complains yet.
>
>> Install the new version and we will see if there are any problems.
>
> I assume you refer to the new Gnus version here (i.e. sync Gnus trunk
> to Emacs trunk).  This could be done now, when someone finds time to
> do it.

Ok, I will try it again.

-Miles

--
Americans are broad-minded people.  They'll accept the fact that a person can
be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a