all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to configure emacs to prompt for revert modified buffer at once it was modified
@ 2007-08-20 14:51 Dmitry Bolshakov
From: Dmitry Bolshakov @ 2007-08-20 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All

Some windows editors do it on activate its window. They prompt about "file
was modified by external program, reload?" Emacs prompt only when I type
something in modified buffer, but I would like to see that buffer was
modified just now. Is it possible to configure emacs in this way?

This feature usually called "auto detection of externally modified files" or
something like this

With best regards

Dmitry Bolshakov

* Re: How to configure emacs to prompt for revert modified buffer at once it was modified
       [not found] <mailman.5008.1187621515.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-20 15:50 ` aartist
From: aartist @ 2007-08-20 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 20, 10:51 am, "Dmitry Bolshakov" <dmitry.bolsha...@bridge-
quest.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Some windows editors do it on activate its window. They prompt about "file
> was modified by external program, reload?" Emacs prompt only when I type
> something in modified buffer, but I would like to see that buffer was
> modified just now. Is it possible to configure emacs in this way?
>
> This feature usually called "auto detection of externally modified files" or
> something like this
>
> With best regards
>
> Dmitry Bolshakov

Check if auto-revert-mode and global-auto-revert-mode  is what you
want.

* Re: How to configure emacs to prompt for revert modified buffer at once it was modified
@ 2007-08-20 17:46 ` Sean Sieger
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5052.1187708590.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2007-08-20 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Dmitry Bolshakov" <dmitry.bolshakov@bridge-quest.com> writes:

    but I would like to see that buffer was modified just now.

M-x revert-buffer ?

* Re: How to configure emacs to prompt for revert modified buffer at once it was modified
@ 2007-08-21 15:02   ` J. David Boyd
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5052.1187708590.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-08-21 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger writes:

> "Dmitry Bolshakov" writes:
>
>     but I would like to see that buffer was modified just now.
>

> M-x revert-buffer ?

auto-revert-mode is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `autorevert'.
(auto-revert-mode &optional arg)

Toggle reverting buffer when file on disk changes.

With arg, turn Auto Revert mode on if and only if arg is positive.
This is a minor mode that affects only the current buffer.
Use `global-auto-revert-mode' to automatically revert all buffers.
Use `auto-revert-tail-mode' if you know that the file will only grow
without being changed in the part that is already in the buffer.

@ 2007-08-21 16:08     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-08-21 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd)
() Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:02:39 -0400

   auto-revert-mode

below are some functions i use to monitor the .c file produced by a
(cute but buggy) scheme->C compiler.  a file visited this way is thus
protected against wanton kill-buffer commands (which fly from my fingers
regularly w/o conscious thought).  one less thing to worry about.  of
course, you need to explicitly `C-x C-q' at some point, either that or
crash the computer.  (exiting emacs also works, but who does that?!)

thi

(defun bury-if-read-only ()
  "If buffer is writable, return t, otherwise bury it and return nil.
This function is intended to added to `kill-buffer-query-functions'."
  (cond ((not buffer-read-only))
        (t (message "(Burying %s -- make writable to really kill.)"
                    (buffer-name))
           (bury-buffer)
           nil)))

(defun watch-file-preciously (filename)
  (interactive "fFilename: ")
  (find-file-read-only filename)
  (add-hook 'kill-buffer-query-functions 'bury-if-read-only nil t)
  (auto-revert-mode 1))

(global-set-key "\C-x\M-f" 'watch-file-preciously)