all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired-recursive-{deletes,copies} in EMACS_22_BASE
@ 2007-07-29 10:43 David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-07-29 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I thought that the change of dired-recursive-{deletes,copies} to 'top
would have made it into the 22.1 release, but it turns out that I
missed the creation of the branch just by a few days.

I think this was more of an oversight rather than intentional.  Does
anything speak against my merging this change to the branch?  For what
it's worth, I recently read an "Emacs 22.1 still can't do..."
complaint on an Emacs discussion list and was quite surprised since I
thought my change to be in already.  For what it's worth, Emacs "could
do" this for a long long time, but the error message for the default
setting of nil does nothing to suggest that.

While one could try amending the error message, I really don't think
that anybody consciously would choose a setting of nil (and then he
would presumably _know_ what to expect), so changing the default would
seem to be much more straightforward.

* Re: dired-recursive-{deletes,copies} in EMACS_22_BASE
@ 2007-07-30 16:44 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-07-30 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I think this was more of an oversight rather than intentional.  Does
    anything speak against my merging this change to the branch?

It is ok, but please update the manual and NEWS at the same time.