all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* etags (GNU Emacs 21.4.20): identifier omitted situation in TAGS (minor bug)
@ 2007-05-14  8:25 Steffen DETTMER
From: Steffen DETTMER @ 2007-05-14  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs; +Cc: steffen

Hi,

I think I found a bug in etags (GNU Emacs 21.4.20), at least on
cygwin happening in a special combination (see below). Finally I
found a small file to reproduce it.

It may happen that a "blank space identifier" is written
instead of the element name. It seems to happen for the last
element of an enum, if additionally a multi-line comment is given
behind and if there is no whitespace between element identifier
and comment block (it seems, all of those conditions must be meet
to trigger the problem).

Here an example (etagsbug.h):

------------------------------------------------------------------->8=======
typedef enum
{
   ELEM_1, /**< Comment Element 1
                Second comment line. */
   ELEM_2, /**< Comment Element 2
                Second comment line. */
   ELEM_I  /**< Comment Element i
                Second comment line. */
} Works_t;

typedef enum
{
   ELEM_1, /**< Comment Element 1
                Second comment line. */
   ELEM_2, /**< Comment Element 2
                Second comment line. */
   ELEM_I/**< Comment Element i
              Second comment line. */
} Fails_t;
=======8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

I would expect the "same" for Works_t and Fails_t, because the
declarations differ in comments/whitespace only, however, ELEM_I
of Fails_t does not go into the created TAGS file.

The resulting TAGS file is something like

------------------------------------------------------------------->8=======
^L
etagsbug.h,154
   ELEM_1,^?3,15
   ELEM_2,^?5,89
   ELEM_I ^?7,163
} Works_t;^?Works_t^A9,237
   ELEM_1,^?13,264
   ELEM_2,^?15,338
          ^?18,444
} Fails_t;^?Fails_t^A19,482
=======8<-------------------------------------------------------------------
(^L, ^? and ^A are one-character control chars in the file of course)

In line 9, there should be "   ELEM_I ^?18,444". With vim 7.0
(1-122) this leads to a parse error (I don't know for Emacs, but
at least the identifier will be missing).

I hope this little description helps a bit.

well, thanks for reading this! :) Best greetings from Germany! :)

oki,

Steffen

About Ingenico Throughout the world businesses rely on Ingenico for secure and expedient electronic transaction acceptance. Ingenico products leverage proven technology, established standards and unparalleled ergonomics to provide optimal reliability, versatility and usability. This comprehensive range of products is complemented by a global array of services and partnerships, enabling businesses in a number of vertical sectors to accept transactions anywhere their business takes them.
www.ingenico.com This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

[...]

* Re: etags (GNU Emacs 21.4.20): identifier omitted situation in TAGS (minor bug)
@ 2007-05-17 14:53 Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2007-05-17 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen DETTMER; +Cc: steffen, bug-gnu-emacs

>It may happen that a "blank space identifier" is written
>instead of the element name. It seems to happen for the last
>element of an enum, if additionally a multi-line comment is given
>behind and if there is no whitespace between element identifier
>and comment block (it seems, all of those conditions must be meet
>to trigger the problem).

I can reproduce the bug, thank you for your report.  I'll try to fix it
and let you know.

* Re: etags (GNU Emacs 21.4.20): identifier omitted situation in TAGS (minor bug)
@ 2007-05-18  9:00 Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2007-05-18  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen DETTMER; +Cc: steffen, bug-gnu-emacs

>I think I found a bug in etags (GNU Emacs 21.4.20)

Yes, you did.  I found the cause of the problem and corrected it.  The
corrected version of etags will be part of the forthcoming Emacs 22.

If you want to run an updated version of etags right now, you can
download it from
<http://fly.isti.cnr.it/pub/software/unix/etags.tar.gz>.

Thank you for finding this bug.