all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* question about markers, replace-match, and undo
@ 2007-04-27 16:44 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-04-27 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel

I have some text, with a marker before it and a marker after it. For
instance, the first marker is at position 41, just before `m', and the
second is at position 48, just after `s':

  41     48
    mnopqrs

I match this text, and then call (replace-match "ABC"), with the result that
the first marker is still at position 41 and the second marker is now at
position 44, just after `C', which is what I would expect and what I want:

  41 44
    ABC

I use `undo', and the result is that both markers are now at position 41:

  41
  41
    mnopqrs

I get the same behavior if I use various additional args to `replace-match'.
I've also tried (progn (undo-boundary) (replace-match "ABC")), with no
change.

I'm not saying there is necessarily a bug here; I don't know. I'm asking how
I can get `undo' to restore not only the text but the marker positions. If I
use, for instance, `delete-region' and `insert', there is no problem, but I
need to be able to use `replace-match' here.

What also seems odd is that (buffer-has-markers-at 48) returns t, but
`mark-ring' shows only two markers, both at position 41, and the mark itself
is somewhere else altogether (e.g. 18). I also used a library `mark.el' from
Emacs Wiki that lets you access the markers in a buffer, and it does not
show any marker at 48. So perhaps `buffer-has-markers-at' is reporting
erroneously here?

[BTW, I also wonder why we have `buffer-has-markers-at', but we apparently
have no function that returns the list of markers at a given position.]

Can anyone help with my question of how to get `undo' to act as an inverse
of `replace-match' wrt the markers? Thx.

* Re: question about markers, replace-match, and undo
@ 2007-04-27 17:43 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-04-27 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I'm not saying there is necessarily a bug here; I don't know. I'm asking how
> I can get `undo' to restore not only the text but the marker positions.

FWIW, the markers are correctly restored in Emacs 21.

--
Johan Bockgård

* RE: question about markers, replace-match, and undo
@ 2007-04-27 18:13   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-04-27 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan "Bockgård", emacs-devel

> > I'm not saying there is necessarily a bug here; I don't know.
> > I'm asking how I can get `undo' to restore not only the text
> > but the marker positions.
>
> FWIW, the markers are correctly restored in Emacs 21.

Ah, thanks Johan.

So is this an Emacs 22 bug, or is the current behavior intended and a fix for an Emacs 21 bug?

If this is the intended behavior, can anyone help with how to force the previous behavior (i.e. restore the markers to their original positions)?

* Re: question about markers, replace-match, and undo
@ 2007-04-28  4:07 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-28  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I have some text, with a marker before it and a marker after it. For
    instance, the first marker is at position 41, just before `m', and the
    second is at position 48, just after `s':

      41     48
	mnopqrs

    I match this text, and then call (replace-match "ABC"), with the result that
    the first marker is still at position 41 and the second marker is now at
    position 44, just after `C', which is what I would expect and what I want:

      41 44
	ABC

    I use `undo', and the result is that both markers are now at position 41:

      41
      41
	mnopqrs

That is definitely a bug.  Does this fix it?

*** insdel.c	02 Mar 2007 03:28:13 -0500	1.190
--- insdel.c	27 Apr 2007 23:55:23 -0400
***************
*** 1603,1610 ****

    if (! EQ (current_buffer->undo_list, Qt))
      {
        record_delete (from, deletion);
-       record_insert (from, inschars);
      }

    GAP_SIZE -= outgoing_insbytes;
--- 1603,1614 ----

    if (! EQ (current_buffer->undo_list, Qt))
      {
+       /* Record the insertion first, so that when we undo,
+ 	 the deletion will be undone first.  Thus, undo
+ 	 will insert before deleting, and thus will keep
+ 	 the markers before and after this text separate.  */
+       record_insert (from + SCHARS (deletion), inschars);

@ 2007-04-28  4:13   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-04-28  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> That is definitely a bug.  Does this fix it?

I cannot tell; I don't build from C sources. If someone else could have a
look, that would be great. Thanks.

@ 2007-04-29 14:27     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-29 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

Can you send a program to construct the test case that fails for you?
Then I will test my patch and make sure it fixes your problem.

* Re: question about markers, replace-match, and undo
@ 2007-04-29 15:19       ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-04-29 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Can you send a program to construct the test case that fails for you?
> Then I will test my patch and make sure it fixes your problem.

I tested it like this:

$ emacs -Q

---------- Buffer: *scratch* ----------
123456

(defun a ()
  (interactive)
  (setq a (copy-marker 1))
  (setq b (copy-marker 7))
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (re-search-forward "123456")
  (replace-match "000"))

(defun b ()
  (interactive)
  (message "%s, %s" a b))
---------- Buffer: *scratch* ----------

Eval the buffer.

M-x a RET
Undo (C-/)
M-x b RET

Emacs 21
  => #<marker at 1 in *scratch*>, #<marker at 7 in *scratch*>

Emacs 22
  => #<marker at 1 in *scratch*>, #<marker at 1 in *scratch*>

Emacs 22 after your patch

@ 2007-04-29 16:08         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-04-29 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> > Can you send a program to construct the test case that fails for you?
> > Then I will test my patch and make sure it fixes your problem.

Johan> I tested it like this:

What Johan did is essentially what I did, so I think this is fixed. Thanks.

What I did (see my initial report):

emacs -Q
type mnopqrs in a buffer
C-SPC at (before) m
C-SPC after s
C-s mnopqrs RET
(replace-match "ABC")
C-_
Look at mark-ring and (mark).

I also reported a bug (?) about `buffer-has-markers-at'. In this case, even though the bugged result above is two markers before m and no marker after s, `buffer-has-markers-at' returns t for the position after s.

* Re: question about markers, replace-match, and undo
@ 2007-04-30 22:09         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-30 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Bockgård; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks.  Now I am confident this is fixed.