all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* status of the rmail-mbox branch?
@ 2007-03-06 13:03 Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2007-03-06 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

What is the current status of the rmail-mbox branch?

Does it have the same functionalities as the regular rmail?

* Re: status of the rmail-mbox branch?
@ 2007-03-06 14:01 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2007-03-06 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Potorti`; +Cc: emacs-devel

Francesco Potorti` <pot@gnu.org> writes:
> What is the current status of the rmail-mbox branch?
>
> Does it have the same functionalities as the regular rmail?

Not entirely.  It is certainly possible to use it to read email, but is
has some deficencies in the area of coding-systems.  It currently
doesn't do any decoding from raw-text at all.  The main problem is that
if we want interoperability with other tools (which I guess is the main
reason to switch to the mbox format), we can't really encode the
mailboxes with emacs-mule anymore as is done with BABYL boxes.

* Re: status of the rmail-mbox branch?
@ 2007-03-06 14:19   ` Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2007-03-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Enberg; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> What is the current status of the rmail-mbox branch?
>> Does it have the same functionalities as the regular rmail?
>
>Not entirely.  It is certainly possible to use it to read email, but is
>has some deficencies in the area of coding-systems.  It currently
>doesn't do any decoding from raw-text at all.  The main problem is that
>if we want interoperability with other tools (which I guess is the main
>reason to switch to the mbox format), we can't really encode the
>mailboxes with emacs-mule anymore as is done with BABYL boxes.

I regularly use rmail and I receive mail with various codings, most
often latin-* and utf-8, but occasionally others.  I use a customised
rmime.el to save attachments to files.

Could I get the above functionalities using rmail-mbox?  Using rmime.el
is not a priority if there are alternative tools allowing to save
attachments from rmail.

* Re: status of the rmail-mbox branch?
@ 2007-03-06 22:37   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-06 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Enberg; +Cc: pot, emacs-devel

I would really like someone to finish up the work on the rmail-mbox branch.
I originally hoped that would be included in Emacs 22, but at least
I'd like to see it in Emacs 23.