all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Maintainance of desktop.el
@ 2007-02-28  9:01 Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2007-02-28  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have removed the line in desktop.el listing me as maintainer of
desktop.el.

For a long time I have spent no time on Emacs development at all. I have
not even answered some of the mails I have received with questions or
suggestions regarding desktop.el, and  I feel bad about that. Since I
don't expect things to change, I think it is better that I am not listed
as maintainer of desktop.el.

Oops, I forgot to write in the CVS log.

* Re: Maintainance of desktop.el
@ 2007-03-01  3:36 ` Daniel Brockman
From: Daniel Brockman @ 2007-03-01  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Lars Hansen <lists@soem.dk> writes:

> For a long time I have spent no time on Emacs development at all. I have
> not even answered some of the mails I have received with questions or
> suggestions regarding desktop.el, and I feel bad about that.

Perhaps forwarding them to public mailing lists is appropriate?

--
Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se>

* Re: Maintainance of desktop.el
@ 2007-03-01 16:51 ` Stuart D. Herring
       [not found]   ` <45E89EA0.7090400@gmail.com>
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2007-03-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Hansen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I have removed the line in desktop.el listing me as maintainer of
> desktop.el.

I'd like to volunteer to take over the post, if there are no objections; I
in fact have some changes for it (discussed in threads described below)
that I'd like to add (presumably after the release) and would be glad to
continue in that vein.

The original thread took place in several months:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-04/msg01253.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-05/msg00084.html
It was spawned off of this message in a largely-unrelated thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-07/msg01245.html
And here's the most recent version of the patch:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-05/msg00097.html

More recently, David Kastrup worked on the package:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-09/msg00336.html

I believe I have merged his changes properly into my patch (version
against current sources attached), but I'd appreciate it if you (David)
checked my work on that.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: Maintainance of desktop.el
@ 2007-03-02  3:28   ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]   ` <45E89EA0.7090400@gmail.com>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-02  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herring; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I'd like to volunteer to take over the post, if there are no objections

Thank you.  Please do.

But please install only necessary bug fixes now.

@ 2007-03-04  6:23     ` Stuart D. Herring
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2007-03-04  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-devel

> I nearly forgot, I wrote a piece that can be used there: winsav.el
>
> You can find it at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/elisp/
>
> I wrote to the earlier maintainer once, but nothing happened then.

Wasn't there some sort of effort being made to write a Lisp-grokkable
window-configuration representation?  It seems like that might be a step
towards resolving the window-pointer issues in that code.  Of course,
given that a desktop when loaded is supposed to create buffers, which
obviously start with no overlays, the current state of affairs may very
well be sufficient for desktop.el's purpose.

The question is (for later, of course), what do you want to do with it?
desktop.el can't very well use it if it's not part of Emacs (at least, not
without looking really odd and calling featurep a lot), so is it to be
merged into desktop.el, or added to Emacs as a standalone library, or
what?

Davis

PS - I've only glanced at the code.  If I end up using it, I'll study it
much more thoroughly then.

shipping.