all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* the README file
@ 2006-11-28  4:34 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2006-11-28  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Obviously not hugely important, but normally when I download a package
source, the README file is the first thing I read (being an obedient
sort). The Emacs README could be improved IMO:

Paragraphs 2 and 5 both describe how to report bugs. They could be
merged.

The wording of paragraph 4 seems a little bizarre to me ("bring up",
"loaded the entire subtree").

The paragraph about configure seems superfluous, given that it is
explained more nicely in the first paragraph of INSTALL.

The paragraphs about `configure.in' and `Makefile.in': not something
most people ever need to know, therefore does not really need to go in
README. Move to INSTALL?

The section on VMS: information about a version of Emacs 19 that runs
on VMS can surely be removed now? In fact, can't all the information
about VMS be moved to vms/README?

* Re: the README file
@ 2006-11-29  3:29 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-29  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The paragraphs about `configure.in' and `Makefile.in': not something
    most people ever need to know, therefore does not really need to go in
    README. Move to INSTALL?

This is part of a list of explanations of the files in the directory.
We should explain all the files that have some program function.

I fixed the other things.  Thanks.