all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-11 12:27 harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I installed gnu intlfonts-1.2.1 to /usr/local/share/emacs/fonts. Then
as indicated in the README file  put the directory to the font path,
updated the font hash table with 'xset fp rehash'. But when I now open
the hello file still no hindi characters are displayed.
Mmh, what am I missing?

harry

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-11 12:48 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.5089.1155320713.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-08-11 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

harry meyers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed gnu intlfonts-1.2.1 to /usr/local/share/emacs/fonts. Then
> as indicated in the README file  put the directory to the font path,
> updated the font hash table with 'xset fp rehash'. But when I now open
> the hello file still no hindi characters are displayed.
> Mmh, what am I missing?
>
> harry

Please ask questions about Emacs 22 on the developers list. Emacs 22 has
not yet been released. (I am cc-ing that list here.)

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-11 17:52 ` Alok G. Singh
       [not found] ` <mailman.5089.1155320713.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alok G. Singh @ 2006-08-11 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SupportHindi

--
Alok

Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
       [not found] ` <mailman.5089.1155320713.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-11 20:50   ` harry meyers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5101.1155364876.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-11 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alok G. Singh schrieb:

> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SupportHindi

Thanks. Followed the instructions precisely but strange, all languages
work but not the indian ones like hindi, tamil or malayam.

harry

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-12  6:40     ` Alok G. Singh
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5101.1155364876.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alok G. Singh @ 2006-08-12  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Aug 2006, late@literaturlatenight.de wrote:

> Alok G. Singh schrieb:
>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SupportHindi

> Thanks. Followed the instructions precisely but strange, all
> languages work but not the indian ones like hindi, tamil or malayam.

What do you mean don't work ? Did you use the quail method or a
fontset. If you are using a fontset, try holding S-mouse-1 and
explicitly selecting the fontset. You can try it with C-h h to verify.

--
Alok

You can bring any calculator you like to the midterm, as long as it
doesn't dim the lights when you turn it on.
		-- Hepler, Systems Design 182

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5101.1155364876.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-13 10:40       ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-13 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alok G. Singh schrieb:

> What do you mean don't work ? Did you use the quail method or a
> fontset. If you are using a fontset, try holding S-mouse-1 and
> explicitly selecting the fontset. You can try it with C-h h to verify.

devanagari fonts won't appear. I did the following:
- install both emacs-intlf-fonts and intlfonts
- made both directories known with:

(add-to-list 'bdf-directory-list "/usr/share/emacs/fonts/bdf")
(add-to-list 'bdf-directory-list
"/usr/share/local/emacs/fonts/bdf")

- xset +fp /usr/.... (the first of the above mentioned directories is
not loaded, instead I get this error message: "xset:  bad font path
element (#76), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax"
Don't know why, I installed it per aptitude)
But one of the fonts packages should suffice anyhow.

Now in my hello file I can see some more fonts like Cantonese but no
Indian fonts.

cdacfonts I could not get, because the page is under reconstruction

harry

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-14  8:25   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-08-14  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, late

In article <44DC7CBB.10901@student.lu.se>, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

>> I installed gnu intlfonts-1.2.1 to /usr/local/share/emacs/fonts. Then
>> as indicated in the README file  put the directory to the font path,
>> updated the font hash table with 'xset fp rehash'. But when I now open
>> the hello file still no hindi characters are displayed.
>> Mmh, what am I missing?

Unfortunately intlfonts-1.2.1 doesn't contain Indic fonts.
The current Emacs contains an Indic scripts renderers that
use Indic fonts of ISFOC-encoding, but as there are only
proprietary CDAC fonts supporting that encoding.  Although
CDAC fonts are available for no-change, they are not free
and the negotiation between FSF and CDAC for making them
free didn't go well.  So we don't include them in intlfonts.

We are now working hard to support OpenType Indic fonts in
Emacs in emacs-unicode-2 branch, but the work is not yet
finished.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-14 10:20         ` harry meyers
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5170.1155554511.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-14 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay....

In article <44DC7CBB.10901@stud...>, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman.073@stud...> writes:

>> I installed gnu intlfonts-1.2.1 to /usr/local/share/emacs/fonts. Then
>> as indicated in the README file  put the directory to the font path,
>> updated the font hash table with 'xset fp rehash'. But when I now open
>> the hello file still no hindi characters are displayed.
>> Mmh, what am I missing?

>Unfortunately intlfonts-1.2.1 doesn't contain Indic fonts.
>The current Emacs contains an Indic scripts renderers that
>use Indic fonts of ISFOC-encoding, but as there are only
>proprietary CDAC fonts supporting that encoding.  Although
>CDAC fonts are available for no-change, they are not free
>and the negotiation between FSF and CDAC for making them
>free didn't go well.  So we don't include them in intlfonts.

>We are now working hard to support OpenType Indic fonts in
>Emacs in emacs-unicode-2 branch, but the work is not yet
>finished.
>
>---
>Kenichi Handa
>handa@m17n...

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-14 11:21           ` Alok G. Singh
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5170.1155554511.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alok G. Singh @ 2006-08-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Aug 2006, late@literaturlatenight.de wrote:

> Okay....

You can get the CDAC fonts from
http://hcoop.net/~alephnull/cdacfonts.tar.gz if you want.

They are only free as in beer, as pointed out.

--
Alok

- DDD no longer requires the librx library.  Consequently, librx
  errors can no more cause DDD to crash.
		-- DDD

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5170.1155554511.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-14 12:18             ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-14 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alok G. Singh schrieb:

> On 14 Aug 2006, late@literaturlatenight.de wrote:
>
> > Okay....
>
> You can get the CDAC fonts from
> http://hcoop.net/~alephnull/cdacfonts.tar.gz if you want.
>
> They are only free as in beer, as pointed out.

Thanks a lot :)
That's fine

harry