all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: dirvars.el 1.3
       [not found] <87k67ih5j5.fsf@penguin.brutt.org>
@ 2006-06-16  6:02 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-16  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I think this would be a good feature to add to Emacs in the future.
Would the two of you be willing to sign papers so we can use it?

People on emacs-devel, would you please look at the code
and see if it is good enough to include?

* Re: dirvars.el 1.3
@ 2006-06-16  8:19   ` Kim F. Storm
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-06-16  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matt Armstrong, Benjamin Rutt, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I think this would be a good feature to add to Emacs in the future.
> Would the two of you be willing to sign papers so we can use it?

I think it is a great idea too.

> People on emacs-devel, would you please look at the code
> and see if it is good enough to include?

There are a few problems with it, but nothing which cannot
be sorted out quite easily:

- it uses defadvise (on hack-local-variables)

- it enables the feature simply by loading the file

- there is no dirvars-mode command to turn it on/off
  (it doesn't use define-minor-mode).

* Re: dirvars.el 1.3
@ 2006-06-16 22:57   ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2006-06-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I think this would be a good feature to add to Emacs in the future.
> Would the two of you be willing to sign papers so we can use it?

Sounds fine to me.  I have already signed future changes to Emacs,
some years ago.
--
Benjamin Rutt

* Re: dirvars.el 1.3
@ 2006-06-17 23:01     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-17 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Sounds fine to me.  I have already signed future changes to Emacs,
    some years ago.

Do you currently have an employer from which we would need
an employer's disclaimer?

* Re: dirvars.el 1.3
@ 2006-06-18 21:55       ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2006-06-18 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Do you currently have an employer from which we would need
> an employer's disclaimer?

No.
--
Benjamin Rutt

* Re: dirvars.el 1.3
@ 2006-06-19 20:53   ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2006-06-19 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Benjamin Rutt, emacs-devel

I'm happy to sign papers for dirvars.el.  I've already signed other GNU
papers in the past, so if somebody just throws me a URL to whatever
procedure is current I'd be happy to do whatever it is that I need to do.

On 6/15/06, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> I think this would be a good feature to add to Emacs in the future.
> Would the two of you be willing to sign papers so we can use it?
>
> People on emacs-devel, would you please look at the code
> and see if it is good enough to include?

* Re: dirvars.el 1.3
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-06-20  4:56   ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2006-06-20  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: matt, rutt.4, emacs-devel

> People on emacs-devel, would you please look at the code
> and see if it is good enough to include?

I think it is quite useful.

How about adding following two functions?

(defun edit-dirvars-file ()
  "Edit dirvars file for the current buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((dirvars-file (dirvars-find-upwards dirvars-file-name)))
    (if dirvars-file
	(find-file dirvars-file)
      (when (and (interactive-p)
		 (y-or-n-p
		  (format "Cannot find dirvars file for the current buffer. Create %s"
			  dirvars-file-name)))
	  (let ((dir (read-directory-name "At which directory? ")))
	    (find-file (concat (file-name-as-directory dir)
				       dirvars-file-name)))))))

Further more it is nice if it is possible to reload a dirvars file in
all buffers which share the dirvars fileafter editing the dirvars file.

(defun dirvars-list-buffers (common-dirvars-file)
  "Returns list of buffers which share COMMON-DIRVARS-FILE as dirvars file."
  (setq common-dirvars-file (expand-file-name common-dirvars-file))
  (let (buffers)
    (dolist (buffer (buffer-list) buffers)
      (with-current-buffer buffer
	(when (string= common-dirvars-file (dirvars-find-upwards dirvars-file-name))
	  (setq buffers (cons buffer buffers)))))))

This is for eager emacs lisp programmers.  With this function, for
example, you can filter the output of C-x C-b. Generally a heavy emacs
user loads too many files onto running emacs. So too many files are
listed on C-x C-b buffers. In the case that the user wants to switch
to the buffer associated with the file under the same sub directory tree,
list all buffers are too enough. dirvars-list-buffers can return the
the buffer associated with the file under the same sub directory tree
if dirvars file exists.

Masatake YAMATO