all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* helpful messages whensoever one hits a wrong key
@ 2006-06-07 17:38 Dan Jacobson
       [not found] ` <mailman.2761.1149778038.9609.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2006-06-07 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Instead of gruff messages like
Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Ibuffer*>
Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *List Options*>
when one hits an unbound key,
or flashing of the terminal (BBDB mode),
helpful messages like
Commands: m, u, t, RET, g, k, S, D, Q; q to quit; h for help, or
new field: C-o; edit field: e; delete field: d; mode help: C-h m; info: i
could be put in the minibuffer.

* Re: helpful messages whensoever one hits a wrong key
@ 2006-06-08 14:45 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.2761.1149778038.9609.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-06-08 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Instead of gruff messages like
> Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Ibuffer*>
> Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *List Options*>
> when one hits an unbound key,
> or flashing of the terminal (BBDB mode),
> helpful messages like
> Commands: m, u, t, RET, g, k, S, D, Q; q to quit; h for help, or
> new field: C-o; edit field: e; delete field: d; mode help: C-h m; info: i
> could be put in the minibuffer.

That would suck.

BTW, an unbound key signals a "KEY is undefined" error.  I think you
are talking about keys bound to self-insert-command.

--
Kevin

@ 2006-06-09 22:23   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-06-09 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
> That would suck.
>
> BTW, an unbound key signals a "KEY is undefined" error.  I think you
> are talking about keys bound to self-insert-command.

I dunno, maybe showing a huge help message immediately would suck, but
the general idea of having a buffer/region-specific alternative error
message for trying to modify read-only text would be a good thing --
I think there are many cases where the current error _is_ confusing,
especially to those without much Emacs experience.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.

* Re: helpful messages whensoever one hits a wrong key
@ 2006-06-13 23:43     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-06-13 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> I dunno, maybe showing a huge help message immediately would suck,
> but the general idea of having a buffer/region-specific alternative
> error message for trying to modify read-only text would be a good
> thing

You can have a region-somewhat-specific error message by using a
string-valued `read-only' text property (in Emacs 22):

    (insert (propertize "xxx" 'read-only "Bork Bork Bork!"))

    An attempt to modify the text displays

        Text is read-only: "Bork Bork Bork!"

This feature seems to be undocumented.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: helpful messages whensoever one hits a wrong key
@ 2006-06-14 17:49       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-06-14 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    You can have a region-somewhat-specific error message by using a
    string-valued `read-only' text property (in Emacs 22):

I will document that.  Thanks for pointing out the deficiency.