all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-01 20:53 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-01 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

After more than 30 years I think it's time to rewrite emacs from scratch.

I would be happy to hear your suggestions about the best language to use.

At the moment I think that Perl would be the best fit, because of its acronym:

Perfect emacs rewriting language.

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-01 21:51 ` Frank Schmitt
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-04-01 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> After more than 30 years I think it's time to rewrite emacs from scratch.
>
> I would be happy to hear your suggestions about the best language to use.
>
> At the moment I think that Perl would be the best fit, because of its acronym:
>
> Perfect emacs rewriting language.

OMG!!! Ponies!!!

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-01 22:18   ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2006-04-01 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> After more than 30 years I think it's time to rewrite emacs from scratch.

It's about time.

> I would be happy to hear your suggestions about the best language to use.
>
> At the moment I think that Perl would be the best fit, because of its acronym:
>
> Perfect emacs rewriting language.

I've heard good things about tcl, may I suggest that as an
alternative?  I think tcl stands for TCL Cures Lisp.

Jay

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-02  6:01 ` Ramprasad B
From: Ramprasad B @ 2006-04-02  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

--- Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> After more than 30 years I think it's time to rewrite emacs from scratch.
>
> I would be happy to hear your suggestions about the best language to use.
>
> At the moment I think that Perl would be the best fit, because of its acronym:
>
> Perfect emacs rewriting language.

OMG ! Am i reading this mail in dream or ...... ?
Is it (there are any disadvantages | to enhance more) currently in GNU Emacs ?
Best wishes for GNU Emacs for future.

--
Ramprasad B

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-02 11:08 ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2006-04-02 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Hello,
 Not sure how serious the emacs development folks are about this.
IMHO, we should be using C++ and PYTHON. Though I prefer structured C
programs, for projects of GNU Emacs scale, it makes it easier to use
an object oriented language like C++. From the little knowledge I have
on PYTHON, I am suggesting it as it is object oriented and is a
functional programing language too. Another tool worth exploring be it
PERL/PYTHON is SWIG (Simplified Wrapper Interface Generator) with
which C/C++ APIs can exposed to PERL/PYTHON (other languages
supported).
 IMO, the language of choice for present times must be driven by the
levels of abstraction it supports so that development is easier
without everyone having to understand the guts of the core
implementation.
 If there is enough steam, I would love to get involved in any way I
can be of help, please take this forward.

with warm regards,
dhruva

On 4/2/06, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> After more than 30 years I think it's time to rewrite emacs from scratch.
>
> I would be happy to hear your suggestions about the best language to use.
>
> At the moment I think that Perl would be the best fit, because of its acronym:
>
> Perfect emacs rewriting language.

Dhruva Krishnamurthy
GNU/FSF member: 1935

* Re: emacs rewrite
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-02 22:34 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-02 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> After more than 30 years I think it's time to rewrite emacs from scratch.

That's a good one ;-).

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-03  1:08   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-03  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Someone wrote an April Fool and put my name on it.
It was funny.

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-03  7:20   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2006-04-03  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> > After more than 30 years I think it's time to rewrite emacs
> > from scratch.
>
> That's a good one ;-).

doesn't everybody always write emacs from *scratch*?

$ ./temacs
(setq command-line-args '(t t t "dump")) C-j
(load "../lisp/loadup.el") C-j

am i missing something here?

thi

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-03 13:00     ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2006-04-03 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    rms> Someone wrote an April Fool and put my name on it.  It was
    rms> funny.

I'm glad you think so.

I fell for it; I realized it was a joke, but I thought it was *your*
joke, and only half of one!

Here's hoping your mailbox quickly recovers from the tummyache it
probably got!  (Or even better yet, that I'm the only person so stupid
and egotistical and Japanized---"Day 1 of Month 4" doesn't look enough
like "April Fool's"---to think that an April Fool's Joke was a
personal invitation to pontificate. :-)

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-03 22:10     ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Someone wrote an April Fool and put my name on it.
> It was funny.

Oh, that's too bad. It was funnier thinking it *was* you ;-).

* Re: emacs rewrite
@ 2006-04-04 13:52       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-04-04 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    > Someone wrote an April Fool and put my name on it.
    > It was funny.

    Oh, that's too bad. It was funnier thinking it *was* you ;-).

I wish I had thought of it, but I can't claim that credit.