all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug: move-beginning-of-line fails to respect fields in custom buffers
@ 2006-02-05  1:07 Miles Bader
       [not found] ` <E1F5vm5-0002qG-VJ@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-02-05  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

This worked for a long time, so the recent screwing around with
move-beginning-of-line apparently broke it.

-Miles
--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson

* Re: bug: move-beginning-of-line fails to respect fields in custom buffers
       [not found]     ` <E1F6M0T-0005l8-M6@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2006-02-07  9:09       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-02-07  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-Devel

2006/2/7, Richard M. Stallman <rms@gnu.org>:
> It must be due to this line in move-beginning-of-line:
>
>     ;; Take care of fields.
>     (goto-char (constrain-to-field (point) orig (/= arg 1) t nil))))
>
> What should that line say?

That line looks correct; the problem seems to be that
`constrain-to-field' only pays attention to text-properties, not
overlays (whereas most of the field functions pay attention to both).

I've committed a change to make constrain-to-field use
Fget_char_property instead of Fget_text_property, which appears to fix
this problem.

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* Re: bug: move-beginning-of-line fails to respect fields in custom buffers
@ 2006-02-08 19:03         ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2006-02-08 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I've committed a change to make constrain-to-field use
    Fget_char_property instead of Fget_text_property, which appears to fix
    this problem.

Thanks.

Could you verify that the doc string and Lisp Manual doc
for constrain-to-field are correct?