all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs keyboard shortcuts could be mentioned on buttons in X11 mdde
@ 2005-12-15 17:59 Asheesh Laroia
From: Asheesh Laroia @ 2005-12-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

(If I get some terminology wrong, please excuse me.)

As a new Emacs user, I appreciate the X11 mode that shows a "File",
"Edit", "Options", (etc.) menu.  In particular, in learning to use emacs
well, you have to get used to the myriad keyboard commands.  Many of the
menus list the keyboard equivalents for the options they perform, which
makes it possible to gradually use more and mor eof the keyboard commands.

The buttons at the top, which appear to use old GNOME icons for New file,
open file, Close, Save, Save As, Undo, Cut, etc. could mention their
keyboards  shortcuts, too.  That would make it easy to go from a
button-clicking Emacs user to a C-x C-f-typing Emacs user.

So I request that the buttons show their keyboard shortcuts when you
mouse-over them.  Thanks!

-- Asheesh.

--
You have a will that can be influenced by all with whom you come in contact.

* Re: Emacs keyboard shortcuts could be mentioned on buttons in X11 mdde
@ 2005-12-15 21:17 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-12-15 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org> writes:

> So I request that the buttons show their keyboard shortcuts when you
> mouse-over them.  Thanks!

Not a bad idea.

The accelerators *are* in the menu however, so in the short term, you
can go into the menu to find your way.

* Re: Emacs keyboard shortcuts could be mentioned on buttons in X11 mdde
@ 2005-12-16  5:08 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-12-16  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    So I request that the buttons show their keyboard shortcuts when you
    mouse-over them.  Thanks!

We don't want to add new features now, but I will put that in etc/TODO.
Thanks.