all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-11-29 23:26 Waldek Hebisch
From: Waldek Hebisch @ 2005-11-29 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have tried to build emacs-21.4 from the sources on an AMD64 machine
running GNU/Linux (Mandrake 9.2). I tried to configure it using
separate build directory, but configure failed:

$ ../emacs-21.4/configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu' systems.
Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.

Is the message true?  Mandrake 9.2 contains emacs-21.3 (I wanted to
upgrade). Also the the GNU emacs home page:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html

says:

Supported Platforms

   Emacs 21 runs on these operating systems regardless of the machine
   type:
     * AIX 4.3.3 and higher
     * FreeBSD
     * GNU/Linux

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl

* Re: Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-12-02 20:40 Waldek Hebisch
From: Waldek Hebisch @ 2005-12-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>
> > $ ../emacs-21.4/configure
> > creating cache ./config.cache
> > checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> > configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
> > systems.
> > Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
>
> > Is the message true?  Mandrake 9.2 contains emacs-21.3 (I wanted to
> > upgrade).
>
> Emacs 21.4 and 21.3 only differ by a single security fix.  Probably
> Mandrake has already fixed this problem in their emacs-21.3 package
> without increasing the version to 21.4.  Here on SuSE 9.2:
>
> ,----
> | $ rpm -q --changelog emacs|less +/movemail
> |
> | * Fri Feb 04 2005 - address@hidden
> |
> | - Security fix for movemail applied (bug #50237)
> `----

Mandrake emacs is dated Aug 28  2003, so I doubt it has the fix :(. But
that is minor thing: I would like to applay a patch to emacs, so first
I need to build it from sources.

Also, I think that other folks would like to know if GNU Emacs is
supported on AMD64.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl

[parent not found: <mailman.17691.1133556187.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-12-06  0:36 Waldek Hebisch
From: Waldek Hebisch @ 2005-12-06  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Mandrake emacs is dated Aug 28  2003, so I doubt it has the fix :(. But
> > that is minor thing: I would like to applay a patch to emacs, so first
> > I need to build it from sources.
>
> If you intend to write the patch yourself and to distribute it, you may want
> to start from the Emacs-CVS code.  Which works just fine on AMD64.

Yes, Emacs-CVS builds fine. Thanks. BTW, also tried with emacs-21.4. I
took the file `src/m/amdx86-64.h' form Emacs-CVS and added the
`x86_64-*-linux-gnu' case to configure. Then I was able to build
emacs-21.4, with just one glitch: the Makfile tried to build alloca.o
from assembly source which failed. After providing "empty" alloca.o to
build finished OK.

I want to install cursor patch that you have posted:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2005-10/msg00886.html

I works fine for me.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl

* Re: Emacs on AMD64
@ 2005-12-07  1:06 Waldek Hebisch
From: Waldek Hebisch @ 2005-12-07  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> I'm running the CVS version of Emacs on FreeBSD/amd64 since several
> weeks ago, after the emacs-devel people reviewed the source changes I
> made to make it buildable on FreeBSD/amd64.

Emacs-CVS builds out of the box on AMD64 Linux, only release version
has problems. I managed to build release version after some tweaks,
so I will probably stick ot it (I prefer to use the same emacs version
on all machines that I use).

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl