all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* announcing defaults when reading from minibuffer
@ 2005-08-28 12:23 Emilio Lopes
From: Emilio Lopes @ 2005-08-28 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just asked myself if there's any convention for announcing
defaults when reading from minibuffer.  Skimming the Elisp manual
didn't reveal anything in this regard.  Seaching the archives of this
list I found this message from RMS:

   The standard for Emacs is (default foo).  There may be some
   nonstandard functions that use [foo], due to imperfect quality
   control, but we should stick to the standard (unless we decide to
   change it).

[http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-06/msg00085.html]

So I documented this convention in "(elisp) Text from Minibuffer".

Here's the patch:

2005-08-28  Emilio C. Lopes  <eclig@gmx.net>

	* minibuf.texi (Text from Minibuffer): mention convention for
	announcing default values when reading from the minibuffer.

diff -rN -c old-emacs-darcs.eclig/lispref/minibuf.texi new-emacs-darcs.eclig/lispref/minibuf.texi
*** old-emacs-darcs.eclig/lispref/minibuf.texi	Sun Aug 28 14:20:31 2005
--- new-emacs-darcs.eclig/lispref/minibuf.texi	Sun Aug 28 14:05:41 2005
***************
*** 154,159 ****
--- 154,167 ----
  empty string, @code{""}.  In this respect, it is different from all
  the other minibuffer input functions in this chapter.

+ Note that the standard way in Emacs to announce a default value when
+ reading from the minibuffer is to put it between parenthesis following
+ the word ``default'' as in
+
+ @smallexample
+ Enter value (default 42):