all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CVS instructions within Windows FAQ
@ 2005-08-22 13:16 Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2005-08-22 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

A colleague of mine recently wanted to install CVS version of Emacs.
After googling for "GNU emacs CVS", the second link was:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq2.html

which said for install of CVS:

The following commands should checkout the current version of the source:

c:\>cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login
c:\>cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs checkout emacs

On a Unix machine, after typing the first "login" command, and giving
an empty password, the command does not end; it has to be aborted.

Do these instructions need updating?  I note on subversions the
command given is:

cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

Is that appropriate for the windows platform too?  Listing a command
that works on both windows and unix would be better for the faq.

Thanks,
Stephen

* Re: CVS instructions within Windows FAQ
@ 2005-08-24  0:10 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-24  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: skx, emacs-devel, emacs-devel-request

    Do these instructions need updating?  I note on subversions the
    command given is:

    cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

    Is that appropriate for the windows platform too?

I have no way of knowing; could you try it, and tell us?
I think we have a volunteer to update the Windows Emacs FAQ,
so once we find out what's right here, the FAQ can be updated.

* Re: CVS instructions within Windows FAQ
@ 2005-08-24 12:21   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-24 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: skx, emacs-devel-request, Stephen Eglen, emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>    Do these instructions need updating?  I note on subversions the
>    command given is:
>
>    cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
>
>    Is that appropriate for the windows platform too?
>
>I have no way of knowing; could you try it, and tell us?
>I think we have a volunteer to update the Windows Emacs FAQ,
>so once we find out what's right here, the FAQ can be updated.

Until the FAQ is updated I have put up instructions here:

     http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html

You can also find a script there for building Emacs from CVS on MS Windows.